Does human touch harm Octopi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Osric

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was recently on some vacation dives at a location where the DMs and instructors seemed to routinely catch Octopi so that people could interact up close and personal with them.

I am generally of a 'look, don't touch' philosophy except when the DM leads the way, but am not sure about Octupus in particular: does touch harm the animal?

I do realize that having it eject all its ink is obviously stressful, but is it also the case that human touch affects a slime barrier or other element that harms the creature?

thanks
Osric

P.S. I did search, but didn't come up with a lot of detail on this specific animal.

Not an answer to your question but when in doubt don't touch. When certain, don't touch :wink:

Sometimes an octopus may choose to interact if one extends a finger, they sometimes reach out and touch the extended finger....

...grabbing one and dragging it around is a different matter....

I am generally of a 'look, don't touch' philosophy except when the DM leads the way,

I too am a look, don't touch philosopher... and if the DM leads the way in that manner, I will take my business to a different dive shop. There's no need to do that. Everyone will see everything they're supposed to see exactly when they're supposed to see it. HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I think there may be a unique case where some creature such as a dolphin will interact intentionally with divers. If a dolphin wants to be touched IN THE WILD, I guess I'm probably OK with it, because they really do have a choice and make a decision to do so.

For practically every other thing in the ocean: keep your hands to yourself.

With care, I sometimes touch. With an octopus, I have offered my bare hand and left it up to the animal. Some are very inquisitive.

Aren't octopus supposed to be pretty smart? I can't see touching them anymore than I can see touching any other wild animal....just because I think it would tend to scare the heck out of them and that's not a very nice thing to do. I will admit that I think it would be cool to play with one if he seems to be interested in you and what you're up to.

Kristopher

This is one of those questions that I'm a "fence sitter" on.

I think if the animal wants to interact with you, is curious, and you extend a bare hand and let them touch.... ummm, maybe its ok? I do not agree with "forced" interaction however.

I think there probably are certain critters that do have a fragile surface layer that might be damaged by a light touch.... but many (most) are probably pretty robust in order to be able to survive, and a light touch would not harm them... right? :idk:

Personally, since I really don't know for sure, I just look. Even though I am often sorely tempted.

The tendancy for many of us (me included!!!) is to assign human emotions or feelings to undersea creatures the same way we do with domesticated animals, and just assume that a gentle touch would be welcomed, when the exact opposite is probably the case.

But with sharks, well heck, touch away! If they are "displeased" by the contact, they have the ability to swim away, or to return the favor by "removing" the offending appendage :wink:

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom