Scuba Merit Badge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

So I am a boyscout trying to become eagle. Anyways, I saw that scuba is a new merit badge. I am certified open water and in an advanced class right now. I was wondering if anyone knew a scuba merit badge counselor for me to contact. In order to complete the merit badge I need a counselor.

Thanks!!:D:D

The district in your area (Stanford District) and/or council (Pacific Skyline Council) should have a list of merit badge counselors.

Failing that, check with local dive stores or clubs. Even if you find one this way, it will still need to be confirmed with District or Council.

In the meantime, pick up the new pamphlet. You'll see it includes a bit more than just scuba certification. However, since you are already certified it will be relatively simple to complete. Enjoy.

You can always make it to Sea Base here in the Florida Keys and get it here! :D

Not burned.

As a Scoutmaster, I was responsible for making sure that my Scouts had qualified merit badge counselors. Sure, it was great when they made the initial arrangements, but I had to approve them and I would gladly call up the Council office to track down a counselor for an unusual merit badge. Heck, I was even known to have recruited a new merit badge counselor or two, when there weren't any available for that merit badge.

Last edited:
You can always make it to Sea Base here in the Florida Keys and get it here! :D

I know as of last year Sea Base did not offer the Merit Badge. But it is defiantly worth going down for a trip.

Not burned.

As a Scoutmaster, I was responsible for making sure that my Scouts had qualified merit badge counselors. Sure, it was great when they made the initial arrangements, but I had to approve them and I would gladly call up the Council office to track down a counselor for an unusual merit badge. Heck, I was even known to have recruited a new merit badge counselor or two, when there weren't any available for that merit badge.

Hey Fisheater!

No burn meant. I completely understand what you mean. :D

Being a relatively new badge, council may not have anyone recorded. Might be a good time to recruit someone who instructs through a local shop to be a counselor. The badge requirements, aside from open water certification, are minimal. I take it you're the first in the district to go for this badge, so you're having to break the new ground, and it often happens that once someone earns a particularly attractive badge, others want it, so it's worth finding an instructor who is willing to do the paperwork to get set up with BSA. Unless your Scoutmaster is a diver, you probably have a better chance of recruiting a counselor, but make sure you have a grip on all the details of what your prospect will need to do for council to get set up, so you can pitch the whole thing to the prospect when you see them.

Get a couple of others to earn it, and you might be able to work it into a pretty good Eagle project, if there's an appropriate place and mission in your area. A bit more interesting than planting trees in the park.

Back
Top Bottom