CESA from 40ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moerby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After our PADI OW certification my daughter and I plan on spending the next couple of years diving to depths no greater than 40ft. Only when we're totally confident in our own abilities, will we go deeper. We did a lot of OOA training during the confined dive portion which is great, but as our instructor said to us ... doing this in a pool, and doing it at depth when your life really depends on it, are two different things!

My biggest concern is that my daughter makes it to the surface alive, be it through a normal ascent, a controlled buoyant ascent, CESA, or ascending while breathing from my alt 2nd stage.

Unfortunately the training doesn't really tell you what to expect when you do a CESA from around 40 ft. Sure, there's the usual disclaimers and warnings, and I understand everybody's physiology is different so there isn't really a one-size-fits all answer, but in general, when someone does a CESA from 40 feet, how much risk to your health is there from that?

Moerby:
Unfortunately the training doesn't really tell you what to expect when you do a CESA from around 40 ft. Sure, there's the usual disclaimers and warnings, and I understand everybody's physiology is different so there isn't really a one-size-fits all answer, but in general, when someone does a CESA from 40 feet, how much risk to your health is there from that?

I am certainly not an expert but I would think that the risks from doing CESA correctly are almost nil, especially if done as a practice event just after diving to 40', while the risks from doing a CESA from that depth improperly include death. So it's really hard to say what the risk is, because theoretically there is none if all is well, while in practice you merely need to hold your breath and swim too fast for a few seconds to really regret not paying more attention to your training.

Osric

Always a danger... remember nitrogen loading is related to depth and time. As long as you don't come within the grey on your table you should not need safety stop and "should" be ok. You will find (in my experience) most dive profiles are 60_40 feet (guided tours) good luck in your diving and remember ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not sent using tapatalk.

An improper CESA could kill you

Lung overexpansion injury is probably (other members may agree/disagree) the most deadly consequence of a CESA. One may ascend too fast in a panic, may exhale too slowly compared to the expansion of the air in their lungs (worrying about ''running out of air'' on the way up would cause someone to not exhale enough)

From what I understand, an emergency buoyant ascent will/should never be used in 40 ft. It is also VERY dangerous. The rate of you ascent is uncontrolled, DCS is highly likely, and lung overexpansion is very, very likely.
My OW instructor said that an emergency buoyant ascent is only done so your family will have a body to mourn over.

Answer to your concern, - watch your gauges!

If you do a proper cesa then thats it right your just done diving for the day? or do you have to go see a doctor or go to a chamber and get checked just in case?
On a checkout dive day I may do a dozen CESA's or more... and then I usually do a nice long pleasure dive after all the students are done. So, in a word, no.
:)
Rick

because theoretically there is none if all is well, while in practice you merely need to hold your breath and swim too fast for a few seconds to really regret not paying more attention to your training.

Unfortunately there is a huge difference between knowing the theory behind a CESA and doing one in a controlled setting, and having to do one unexpectedly when there is a real life-threatening emergency. While I'd love to say that my daughter will always do a textbook CESA given that she may be in a panicked state I'm not discounting her holding her breath while hauling ass for the surface.

Rather than prepare for every unforseen event that ever was or ever will

how about you train to prevent being in these far flung situations instead.

Forty feet is six times my height.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom