Underwater Pumpkin Carving - Where/When, How-to Hints, Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
:pumpkin:'Tis the season for Underwater Pumpkin Carving Activities.

This thread was inspired by the article in Alert Diver to "Carve with Care"

In addition to staying safe, let's share the fun too!
1-Please share the where/when, etc. of your local events and then
2-Please share your best How-to tips for other underwater carvers
3-Come back and share fun pics of the festivities. The pics are always creative and fun. If you don't have any from this year, share some of your favorites from yesteryears.

Halloween-Underwater-Pumpkin-Carving.jpg
(stock Google image)

If your pumpkin carving rules allow it, put the pumpkin in a mesh gear bag with a three pound weight.

*edit* cut a hole when you first submerge to let the air out of the pumpkin if rules allow this, way less struggle to keep it down.

As you carve, you can put the pieces in there so they don't float away and make a mess of the shoreline of your local dive hole.

I will dig up some photos when I'm home.

Ok so here are some shots from years past, including a method for getting pumpkins down underwater by handcart that, shall we say, had limited success.

Attachments

• 11 carving 3.jpg
    11 carving 3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 129
  • carve 2x.jpg
    carve 2x.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Pumpkin carving 2008 012.jpg
    Pumpkin carving 2008 012.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 149
  • the keystorm.jpg
    the keystorm.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 104
  • the scaryaw.jpg
    the scaryaw.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 96
  • the wexford.jpg
    the wexford.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 107
  • carve 1x.jpg
    carve 1x.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 101
  • uw pumpking carving 1 x.jpg
    uw pumpking carving 1 x.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 130
Had a great time last year carving a pumpkin in San Diego. Clean the pumpkin ahead of time, put it in a mesh bag with some extra weights in it (3-4 pounds depending on size of pumpkin) Using a small knife (I used Spyderco) or carving tool (plastic) works great underwater. Definitely draw your design on ahead of time instead of trying to freehand. Lastly - HAVE FUN!!!

Diving Life/Pumpkin Carving Contest

Local rules require carving be done with a diver's tool. That adds a twist.

Gold Coast Scuba's Meetup Group is having a contest at Lauderdale By The Sea on the 28th and the shop is putting up some nice prizes. I don't know what others are going on in this area. Anyone else posting contests?

Our LDS did a pumpkin carving contest this past weekend at Sunrise Motel on the Puget Sound. Unfortunately, my wife and I were not able to go due to her needing to have a spinal surgery at the neck level. I will see if some of the divers that went will give me some pic's to post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom