P Valve Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBen1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

As they say 'there are no stupid questions' so....

As a new diver I've had a couple of uncomfortable dives and actually had to abort my ppb specialty dive 2 as I was busting that much (luckily I'd filled the pre requisites, phew!). Maybe I'm overhydrating but regardless, I'll soon be investing in a dry suit and may well get the p valve fitted just in case - in the future I'd be hoping to longer more challenging dives and I reckon it will be good to be comfortable having the option.

So...I get the logistics behind how the whole thing works but not too sure about the etiquette. You're at a busy dive site and you really need to go. Do you swim discreetly off to the side, do you stop swimming and tell your buddy what you are doing so they don't think you have a problem?

Really intrigued to know how it works :)

I leave my p valve open anytime I'm in the water.....no need to stop swimming nor draw attention to yourself......just go. Nobody will notice unless its really clear water and you took some of those mega men's vitamins(neon green piss is the result).

Where I dive some of the people just casually walk away from others and get in the water. Everyone knows why. No need to be shy. Some will even announce "don't come over here right now! Busy off loading excess fluid!"

Or just announce hey I gotta pee. Then just stand there and say ahhhhh! with a big smile. Kinda like Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Where I dive some of the people just casually walk away from others and get in the water. Everyone knows why. No need to be shy. Some will even announce "don't come over here right now! Busy off loading excess fluid!"

Or just announce hey I gotta pee. Then just stand there and say ahhhhh! with a big smile. Kinda like Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

In addition, there's this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfXiIXTpE0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First off, are you saying you aborted a PPB dive for the sake of not whizzing in your wetsuit? Immersion Diuresis and proper hydration make this almost inevitable so get over it, enjoy your dives and don't stress your bladder.

As for diving dry, the urge will be less but longer / multiple dives and good hydration still make a pee valve highly desirable unless you have a cast iron bladder.

Etiquette? I guess depends on the company. You may wander into the water, quietly dribble on the grass or sigh and grin. The thing is not going to shoot off like Buckingham Fountain and you won't be creating a Superfund Site. The need is mutual so the buddy in his wesuit is eventually doing his thing too. Consider that we all fart but handle it differently depending on the situation.

Pete

Just pee where you are, Alot of the women I dive with have pee-valves too so it's no big deal.

Just pee where you are, Alot of the women I dive with have pee-valves too so it's no big deal.

I still can't mentally grasp how the she-p actually forms a good seal......one of our female divers on here should post a picture of a properly attached she-p:)

Let it fly. In the water or out. My best friends may find me standing right next to them with a leak in my right leg.

Just wait till you find out all the fun to be had with used Caths.....

I still can't mentally grasp how the she-p actually forms a good seal......one of our female divers on here should post a picture of a properly attached she-p:)

Because that's gonna happen.

I just can't wrap my head around how something installed in that manner doesn't leak every time..... I suppose it works as advertised but I can't see how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom