Dives that stretch your limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I did what turned out to be a very fun dive this last weekend, at a site that is considered "advanced" for quite a number of reasons. When our group got to the dive site, I almost called it . . . but I went for it instead, and in the end, was very glad I did.

I thought some of the process I went through in doing this dive might be interesting or useful for folks who are trying to decide whether to do a given dive or not.

First off, it was a site I really wanted to do. I read a good deal about it. It is rated advanced because of a difficult, surf-washed entry over rocks, and also because of the potential for very strong currents. So the first thing was to pick a day when we could dive on a small, manageable exchange, and to choose the entry time very carefully.

Second, the biggest challenge of the site for me was going to be the entry and exit. I made some gear adjustments to make that whole part easier, and I also talked to my dive buddy (or the fellow who was supposed to be my dive buddy, anyway) who agreed to help me get gear into the water.

Third, I arranged to dive as part of a very strong group of people. Although, as it turned out, I was actually the one with the most experience in surf and kelp, which are two of the hazards of the site!

So, with the planning part as well taken care of as I could, I got to the site on Sunday morning, and the first thing I noticed when I got out of the truck was that you could hear the surf crashing onto the rocky shore. This was not a good omen. I walked down to look at the entry, and it was going to be challenging, but by arranging my gear the way I had, it was definitely doable. I watched the surf come over the rocks for a while. It was clear that there was surf, and it was breaking along a rock shelf just offshore. There was a channel to the left of us that appeared quite calm and sheltered; it looked as though it would permit us to get into the water and get our fins on (and scooters sorted out, for those who had them). We could then tackle the surf zone, although my big worry was that the water would be so shallow at that point that we would get beat up on the rocks. Although the kelp was forbidding to the rest of the group, it didn't bother mel -- and best of all, it was standing straight up, so there was no discernible current, at least inshore.

I watched for a while, and thought about the potential problems: Getting rolled getting in; getting scraped over the rocks getting through the surf, and worse, how would we manage the exit if we came back to rougher water, and how would I manage it if I had to do it alone. I came up with strategies for all those things, and discussed most of them with the group, and made sure everyone was comfortable. At this point, it became clear that some of the buddy pairings we had planned were not going to work; our most novice divers needed to be paired up with stronger divers than they were, so teams were shuffled, and again, there was a quick check to make sure everyone was cool with the new arrangements.

By the time any of us got a foot wet, we had a plan and a contingency plan for almost everything. The one thing we didn't have a plan for was one of our strong (mentor) divers losing a fin on entry. She was okay with diving, since she was using a scooter, but she did not feel that she was in any position to be a strong arm for a less experienced diver, so between the surf and the kelp, we reshuffled teams again.

Everybody had a great dive. The site is as good as the references say it is, drenched with color and thick with filter-feeding life. I am very glad I did it, and glad I didn't back out when the thought crossed my mind. As it turned out, the planning we had done, the equipment adjustments we made, and the team strategies we had built, allowed everyone to do one of our best PNW shore dives.

What really made me post this was just thinking about how much planning went into making this work as well as it did. We did very little once we got in the water that was different from any other dive. But thinking through the challenges and having a plan in place for each of them made something that could have been downright scary into a challenge that was just kind of fun to have met.

524276_10151757993694216_1653203079_n.jpg

523990_10151757993349216_1207672496_n.jpg

The second picture illustrates that this is a buddy sport in more than staying next to each other underwater . . .

... don't get to practice surf entries much around here ... that looks like gobs of fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I learned something interesting about surf. It has the most power over you when you need to stand up where it is coming in. Once we were no longer land-based animals (once we were floating and horizontal) surf the size of what you see in the pictures had no power over us to speak of at all. If you could swim well enough to make some progress seaward, you were fine (and those of us with scooters were in clover).

You can see the sheltered pool we actually walked into the water in, in the photo with me and Kirk. We got all our gear settled and our minds focused before we had to go out through the rough water. It turned out to be almost trivial.

And not enough is said about thumbing a dive... Did that for the first time last year. My less experienced buddy then tried to convince me that a couple equipment adjustments and we could jump back in. Something didn't quite feel right, I don't know what it was but I'm glad I called the day.

I remember the first time our dive club thumbed a dive. Conditions were marginal for the week, but they decided to meet and make a beach time decision. Once we got to the beach conditions were terrible. Moderate surf 3-4 feet and although not impossible definitely challenging. There was a red tide that morning too and the water looked terrible. Everyone was saying thumbs down and headed back to their cars to go home. I was still new and had rented all my gear and I was thinking "doesn't anyone want to dive?" and then "what's going to happen to my gear?" I wasnt sure I could get a refund. I was pretty disappointed.

My most challenging dive took place on a training dive with a good friend and his son on their check out dives for OW training. They were on a time table because they were leaving for vacation in few weeks and wanted to b certified by the time they left. Only that weekend we were having South swell and was expected to be high. When we first got to the beach surf was little high in3 ft range. Little high but not bad. We decided to give it a try. Everyone got out okay. Shortly after getting to drop down site the surge started to pick up.

Before long it really started to push us on the bottom. Even kneeling in the sand was challenging getting pushed back and forth. At one point the dive float was pulled up out of the sand! Instructor was up top with my buddy's son doing skills when float went slack, he came down the line and I had the anchor screw in my hands trying to get it back in the sand!

When we tried to do short swim around viz had all gone to hell, less than 6 ft. I was having hard time keeping sight of instructor right in front of me, no more than an arms length. We decided to thumgb the rest of the dive and head back in. By this time waves had picked up and now were over 4 ft with 6 ft sets coming in. Was really challenge to get out and was the closest I've come to getting tumbled but did okay and didn't lose any gear. A wave did knock one of my fins out of my hands but I was close enough washed up on shore and I got it back. My friend's son put his mask on top of his head and didn't cover with his hand. One of the big waves not only knocked the mask off his face he lost his fins when he got tumbled. lifeguards closed the beach to diving as soon as we made it back to our cars. We got the fins back and some diver found the mask a few days later and returned it to the LDS.

I'm not disappointed anymore when we thumb a dive. One, I know I can do it having been out there in really big surf. It's not fun. Viz stinks even if you get out okay. Better come back another day when you can actually enjoy the dive.

I now have all my own gear except a tank. And, can always get credit at my LDS for next time.

Thanks for the report Lynn

I made some gear adjustments to make that whole part easier... the equipment adjustments we made... allowed everyone to do one of our best PNW shore dives

Care to share what these were? I don't do much shore diving but always interested to hear what works

...some diver found the mask a few days later and returned it to the LDS

That's nice to hear after the recent 'lost camera' thread where some DB didn't want to give it back because "finders keepers" :(

I dove this site doing what we call "monkey diving". You can see that I went down to the water in just my backplate; I had a stage-rigged Al80 and a scooter waiting for me (transported by my younger and less fragile friends). By separating the gear into parts like that, all I had to cope with was the thirty pounds of weight belt and plate, and not the additional 40 lbs of tank, and that's what made getting to the water possible. I could also have done it by assembling the rig at the beach, but this way worked. The part of the site we intended to dive is very shallow (I think my max depth on the dive was 29 feet) so monkey diving was reasonable.

Wow, those are some big rocks!

All our surf entries in FL are flat and sandy with nothing in the way.

also +1 for monkey diving! Love my monkey rig :)

Dive your plan & plan your dive! When you take the time to do it (as you should), dives run super smooth. There is also something to be said for expanding your comfort zone. It's good to dive within it but also, for us as divers, in order to get better, we do have to go outside of it (safely) in order to get better and gain more experience. Nice write up Lynn!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom