Maybe its just me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimrundive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My gripe is currently dealing with dive ops who see OW and deny deep dives. I, for one, believe if you panic in a open environment (not talking about non permissive overhead here just deep) you probably should seek training again. From the way most ops around here talk when confronted with the fact I'm better off scheduling it on my own and rent nitroxxx tanks.

How many dives do you have?
Do you have a logbook with deep dives in it?
How deep is deep?
How deep are you planning on using the Nitrox?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Most places in the Keys require an AOW or 3 logged dives under 80 ft in the past year to do a deep dive without a DM. Makes sense to me, especially since most of our deeper dives are wrecks where there can be current. And you're going deep on nitrox? I wouldn't take you out either.

In not much more than the time it takes you to go through the gripefest on SB, you could take the AOW course and be done with it.

From what I've gathered, dive boats allow or disallow someone deep dives depending on what they feel is best for them regarding liability (which of course as a private business is their right). We all know that one dive just below 60' qualifies for the AOW deep dive and that people who are only OW certified but have thousands of dives to different depths are at times denied. Recently the "new" DM course requires some form of deep diving--prior to that I'm sure there were DMs leading deep dives who were not Deep certified. As suggested, get AOW and be done with it.

AOW is hardly difficult to get. Little expensive sure, but this is an expensive hobby. If your concern is that a dive op won't take you deep without the cert, then get them to take you deep and call it a training dive, get it signed off and it's sorted. It might seem like an annoying exercise in compliance to do additional training dives, but you want to pay someone to take you diving anyway. Getting that card shouldn't cost much more than half a dozen boat dives. You might even be able to go to the sites you wanted to see in the first place.

If you can't get the hint, Nitrox tanks have a Maximum Operating Depth that's shallower than diving air.
100% O2 is toxic below 20ft.

32% is 112ft. If you change your accepted PPO2 limit then that changes your MOD for your mix.
Ultimately, you don't use Nitrox to dive deep. That's the first myth a Nitrox class tries to dispelled. Heck it's usually the first line out of the Instructor's mouth.

Take the training, it's been set up this way for a reason.

I also did AOW so I wouldn't have to deal with being denied a deep dive. Did the AOW in the Maldives where we actually did all our training dives on reefs that were enjoyable dives, so I did not really feel like I was losing out on time because each dive was a great experience. Yes it's a bit expensive, but you're paying for the dives anyways, might as well pay for the AOW now and then not have to have an issue with this again. Obviously diving deep shouldn't be done just for the sake of going deep, and to be honest having done a few deep dives I really didn't like them as there was little to see and it just blew through my air quicker and loaded up my nitrogen more than I would have liked. Obviously some things require deep dives (like wrecks, etc), so it's good to do the AOW and be done with it like others said.

To the op, you got certified in August this year and show less than 25 dives so no way you can cry experience without card. You want boats to allow you advanced dives, find a mentor and get the experience or better yet just get the training. AOW, done as it should be, is way more than just a dive below 60.

To other posters, I think the op is talking AOW deep not deep dive certification deep. Nitrox in the recreational "deep" depths is appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom