Drysuit class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
Sunday I finished my pool session and book work for my drysuit class. Overall I did not find diving a drysuit that much harder than with a wetsuit. Bubble management was pretty easy and the drills for having air in your feet and going inverted we're a lot of fun. My take away was to go easy on the air in the suit and only adjust the air to remove some squeeze.

I was using a rental Bare Nexgen with a slightly lose neck seal so I did get a trickle when doing the rolls plus the boots (Chuck Taylor's size 14) were very tight on my size 14 feet. For my open water dives in the spring I'm going to order some size 15 or 16 Chucks and the shop is putting on a replaceable neck seal. I can't wait!

I was thinking of getting some REI heavy long underwear to wear over some UA. The temps in the spring should be around 50 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A proper drysuit undersuit will wick moisture away from you skin to the surface of the undersuit leaving you drier, warmer and happier. In a suit like that even a wintertime leak can be surprisingly little discomfort.

I wrote a thread a while back on how I initially learned how to dive a drysuit on my own but later tagged along with an instructor friend on a drysuit course he was teaching for the price of a steak dinner. Long story short, I didn't take away much on how to dive the suit but learned a great deal about care, maintenance, and options for drysuit diving(dry gloves, proper undies, pee valves, etc.). I have a feeling that your experience may be similar. Proper accessories are key for a positive dry diving experience.

My drysuit course was free with the purchase of my drysuit.

I could have figured out on my own however, the course was worth doing.

What are the logistics of working a pee valve, in detail, for men? Dry suit mfgrs don't detail them in product literature. Where does the dong go? Is there an external condom cathetar or some sort?

Yes. Condom cath.

Yup. External condom catheter plugs into a hose that plugs into the pee valve.

What are the logistics of working a pee valve, in detail, for men? Dry suit mfgrs don't detail them in product literature. Where does the dong go? Is there an external condom cathetar or some sort?

The product descriptions are really like something out of the 1950s. "Relief valve" etc...never clear descriptions of how to use them or what the parts are for.

Yup. External condom catheter plugs into a hose that plugs into the pee valve.

I mean this in the most serious way, but is there a risk of backflow back into the urethra? I get infections easily. Also how does it work if I have to go from flaccid to wood to back again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom