Dive on Maui.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kasper03

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody.

Im going to Maui (hawaii) on may 26 and want to take a couple of dives.

Who is your favorite diveshop to dive with ?
I have heard the name Mike Serverns a couple of times now. Have anybody been diving with him ?

Best regards

Kasper

We need to know if you'll be in West Maui or South Maui and what kind of dive experience you have and seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Yes I've dove with them, great group of people. Check out the hawaii regional forum your question has been asked and answered many many times, also update your profile, if you really aren't certified or will be newly certified they may not be the top recommendation.

Ben

Aren't you the guy that's planning to get certified on Maui?

Severns doesn't offer that afaik - they're a boat dive operator who dives Molokini Crater every morning.

You won't be able to do certification classes with them as they'll pick sites for everyone on the boat. Most certification dives at least start out on the beach so they can bring you into the water gradually to practice skills. Shore dive operators will do all four dives off the beach, those with a boat may take you to a shallow dive site in the afternoons for dives 3-4 - mostly that will be the West Maui operators though. (there's exceptions of course)

Once you have your certification, Severns will be glad to take you out to Molokini - they can pick multi-profile sites so everyone has a good dive:
We offer two-tank boat dives for certified divers, from newly certified to experienced.
Nice thing about them is the entire staff is Naturalists so you learn something on the ride out and about what you saw after the dives.

Lahaina Divers in West Maui is one shop that will do your last two certification dives in shallow water off their boat in the afternoons - you'll be with other cert divers and Discover Divers.

If you're going to stay in the Kihei area, check with Maui Dreams Dive Co. for certification classes - they're one option in that area. I believe they do their whole class from shore with an option to boat dive from "their" boat - Maui Diamond II in Ma'alea harbor just north of Kihei.

It's about an hour drive between Lahaina/Ka'amapali (West Maui) or Kihei/Wailea (South Maui) so factor that into your plans.

Last edited:
Your profile says not certified, and if you are completing your OW dives, or doing your first dives out of class on your trip, Mike Severns is not the dive op for you.

As already stated, a lot of things depend on where you are staying, and what transportation you have. If you are staying in the Kihei/Wailea area, and are a new diver, I highly recommend the B&B Scuba operation. They have been around a very long time, and they are extremely good with new divers. In fact, I did my first Hawaii dives off their boat! They go out very early, so you are back early and avoid the winds, and have the afternoon to do other island things.

But if you are staying up in the area from Kaanapali to Lahaina, or north, they would be quite inconvenient. I honestly don't know the dive ops up there well. I have done one day of diving with Lahaina Divers. We did a dusk dive on the Carthaginian and a night dive on the Mala Pier, and I was quite satisfied with their operation.

There is a lot of good shore diving on Maui, much of it quite easy. You can hire a DM from a local shop to help you out, or, if you have a bit more experience than your profile suggests, you can try it on your own. If the surf is quiet, it's not at all difficult to do Ulua Beach or Old Airport. Check out shorediving.com, or alohashoredivers.com, for information on Maui shore dives.

Mike Severns is a great operation and very educational....

Hi guys.

I have now updated my profile. As diversteve says, im that guy :) So what happened was that I took my certificate in Monterey which was a great experience! I now have the open water and had a instructor called Tom Yang.
I think I will check out the forum abies is talking about :)

I've done Maui twice both times with Lahaina Divers. I like their location and both trips were great. We did Molokini Crater once, Lanai and First Cathedrals, a two tank regular reef dive, and two night dives over two different vacations. I like Lahaina Divers since they have a parking lot nearby that has free parking if you can find space. It's never been a problem for the morning dives but once I had to pay for parking a nearby lot for the evening night dive when the free lot had no space.

We normally stay at Ka'anapali Beach and it is much shorter, only 20 minutes, from where we stay to Lahaina. It would be at least another 30 minutes to Kihei and some of the dive operations require a 630 am check in. For Lahaina divers you don't have to check in until 7 am. The extra hour or so is key for me since I don't want to get up any earlier than I have to on vacation.

I know that Lahaina divers does have instructors and would be able to complete the open water portion for PADI certification.

^ I would aggree with this assessment. I have been to Maui 6 times and have been out with Captain Nemo (now gone), Lahaina Divers, Scuba Mike and 5 *. NOT at all fans of 5 * or Scuba Mike. When he stripped off naked in the parking lot to put on his wet suit commando, it was a bit much. I realize he is german and in Europe this might not be strange, but it was startling. I have been out with Lahaina divers on many trips and it has always been a good time.

This may be a late reply, but I wanted to weigh in on my experience. As a new diver, I recently went with B&B on a Molokini Crater dive and it was fantastic. Prior to the trip I had only nine logged dives--all training dives--in a freshwater lake; my trip with B&B was my first boat dive and my first ocean dive. Needless to say, I was very nervous. I was fortunate enough to have Blesi (one of the B's of B&B) as a group leader, and she was super chill and knew all the good places to look for interesting sea life. My anxiety was quickly relieved by their professionalism, focus on safety, and obvious knowledge of the dive site.

The other thing I liked about B&B is that they leave very early--meetup time at the Kihei Boat launch is 5:45 AM. We were literally the first boat at Molokini Crater, which was sick with other boats by the time we departed.

For me, B&B will always be the operator of choice for future Maui dives.

Happy Diving!

Back
Top Bottom