Instuctor Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhamblett

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have a few questions which i hope you guys can answer. First of all, i would like to know the average salary of a divemaster/instuctor when working for a company. I curently have my open water licence and will have my advanced in 2 weeks. If i am excited by my experience i would like to further my knowledge, what do you reccommend for courses. Thinking to the future i would like to teach.....Help me out
Thank you Jhamblett

You aren't going to make a living anywhere on what an Instructor, much less a DM, make. You have to do it because you love teaching and you love to dive, and you need to be financially independent or have a "day" job.
My OWI was basically retired at 40. My AOWI is a Southwest Airlines mechanic. My nitrox instructor is the dive shop owner, and my tech fundamentals instructor is a CPA... you get the idea.

DM's sometimes are paid only by tips, and basically get unlimited free diving with their employer when off-duty. 30 people on the boat... half of them tip $5, that's $75 divided by the 5 DM's and crew... $15 a trip, 3 trips a day.
At a resort like Club Med, you'll get free room and meals... I think they pay $800/month.

If a DM is paid in more than tips, it's going to be minimum wage.

Welcome to the board!
I make my living at the power company. No way I could make it teaching. I do it because I love it, not for the bucks.

Joe

jhamblett:
Hello everyone, i have a few questions which i hope you guys can answer. First of all, i would like to know the average salary of a divemaster/instuctor when working for a company. I curently have my open water licence and will have my advanced in 2 weeks. If i am excited by my experience i would like to further my knowledge, what do you reccommend for courses. Thinking to the future i would like to teach.....Help me out
Thank you Jhamblett

Instructors don't get paid much since most just do it for the glamor and excitement :wink:
One thing you should look at if you want to really get into the scuba business is learn to drive a boat, get your coast guard certificates learn compressor repair, and learn about diesel motors, then with your instuctor ticket you will find many more opportunies open to you

jhamblett:
Thank you Jhamblett
if you try to rely on just what you'll earn as an instructor ,then you'll set yourself up for a life in poverty......in relation to what you'll spend on courses,insurance,gear ect.You'll have to love the sport and have some sort of other income,otherwise you'll have problems to get by.:dollar::dollar::dollar:

jhamblett:
Thank you Jhamblett

Take a good look at wedivebc's avatar. :wink: That says it all.

underwater daphne:
yeah, but what about ppl who work in resorts? most of them don't have other jobs.

Many live in areas where the costs of living are low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom