Roatan in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoda-X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my lovely wife decided to get her scuba certification. I have my advanced and have been diving off and on for many years. I am taking the class with her as a recertification and we decided to go to Roatan August 8th-17. This is our first dedicated dive vacation and we are wondering what to expect as far as weather and diving.

Considering an an all inclusive with Turquoise Bay Resort.

any info would be appreciated

I will be there at the same time as you. I will be staying at CocoView Resort. Check out the Regional Forums / Central America / Bay Island forum for lots of information on Resorts and conditions in Roatan.

Jim

August in Roatan brings a whole lot of critters in the water column. At this time of year, you can often find the "blood worms" thick at night all though the Caribbean. That in itself tells you that it's "feeding time" for many of larger Apex predators. This easily observed night phenomenon has similar daytime amping up.

TBR is on the North side. It will likely be dead flat calm and there won't be much breeze on property, so bring bug spray. Make sure you room's AC is working great first thing- if not 100%, get them to switch you out, not real expeditious on repairs by posted report.

The Northside reef structure is 1/3 to 1/2 mile offshore, but jimbeeler on the close-in South side is going to have an opportunity for the night time coral spawn, depending on the Lunar phase.

No matter when you go, you will LOVE the diving in Roatan! We have been in love with the luscious reefs of the Bay Islands for years now. There's nothing better than having a spouse share the love of diving with you - you will create many great memories together.

Of course August is hurricane season, but the Bay Islands are not commonly affected by storms. I think at that time the thing you will most need to be prepared for is the heat. Your status does not show where you're from, but if you're not accustomed to hot temperatures, you should be prepared :D But the water will be glorious!

We are considering Turquoise Bay for next May. Looks to be a good special running now!

One word.... Well actually two words. CoCo View [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threads merged...

August in Roatan brings a whole lot of critters in the water column. At this time of year, you can often find the "blood worms" thick at night all though the Caribbean. That in itself tells you that it's "feeding time" for many of larger Apex predators. This easily observed night phenomenon has similar daytime amping up.

TBR is on the North side. It will likely be dead flat calm and there won't be much breeze on property, so bring bug spray. Make sure you room's AC is working great first thing- if not 100%, get them to switch you out, not real expeditious on repairs by posted report.

The Northside reef structure is 1/3 to 1/2 mile offshore, but jimbeeler on the close-in South side is going to have an opportunity for the night time coral spawn, depending on the Lunar phase.

I'll be getting there on the 8th as well, but staying at Mayan Princess. So, you're saying there's no breeze on that side of the island?

I don't think that's the case ALL of the time. As a general rule, you can expect the north side of the island to be subject to winds from passing fronts during the cooler months of the year.

Generally, the south side of the island is protected from those "northers" that blow through, but there is a constant trade wind.

Much is determined by the wind direction and strength. A good way to monitor this is:

Wind, waves & weather forecast Isla de Roatan Aeropuerto - Windfinder

Currently, the forecast is for winds out of the E to ENE. At West Bay Beach, you would be sheltered from those winds. If the winds shift, so could your circumstances. But at least you can monitor the wind status and keep up to date.

Back
Top Bottom