Extended trip - late November - Dec - Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divv

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm thinking of taking an extended trip to Belize to check out the country and see how I like it (thinking of maybe relocating).
Diving is my passion so I'd want to spend a good portion of the trip diving as well.
Can anyone comment on a good place to head for as a starting point to use as a base from which I can travel? Ideally somewhere where I can leave my dive gear safely while I explore elsewhere?
And also because it will be a longish trip (and because my country's currency is useless!) somewhere that doesn't cost a packet?
Is November to Jan a good time to go?
Also does anyone have comments on how safe it is for single females in the country?
Thanks!!

You could consider Placencia. It is on the mainland in the southern half of Belize with great diving, proximity to whale shark diving in season and excellent access to inland adventures. You can leave your dive gear with at least one dive center (can't speak for others).
Any time of the year is a good time - although August to October is better from a cost point of view (low season).
Single females often come to Placencia without incident.

Hi Ralph. Thanks for the reply.
Any suggestions on the accommodation side?

Ok thanks.
If you or anyone else has any suggestion how I can arrange this please let me know?
Any other ideas on places from other Belize-experts? Or does everyone agree that Placencia is the place? :D

Sorry divv. Placencia might be the place for you or it might not. You should certainly check it out. Belize is a small country but not the very easiest with regard to traveling from awesome area to awesome area. All that said, touring the country and enjoying each area for its uniqueness is highly recommended.

Look into Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker as well.

As for your safety as a single woman, part of that will be up to you. We still need to keep our wits about us. I've had very little trouble over the years, and those few troubles I did have were for the most part brought about by a loss of wits. :)

chillyinCanada - "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"... Can't remember who said it but yes, losing one's wits is best avoided as far as possible.
Thanks for the input. I'll check out those areas too :)

Thanks chilly - that was an excellent read!

I wish I had read that article before I took my first bus trip. I had taken the water taxi from Placencia to Independence, where I caught the bus to Punta Gorda.

I assumed you paid when you got on, so when the bus arrived I got on with my money in hand. I told the driver I was going to PG and asked how much it cost. He looked at me like I was from outer space. After an awkward silence, he started mumbling stuff like "I'm not sure, I think maybe um..." I was holding up the line, so I offered to settle up later to get out of the way and he agreed. I thought I was brilliant, found a seat and sat down. Then I noticed no one else was paying either.

About 10 minutes later, a kid came through collecting fares.

Oops. Dumbass gringo.

A couple of things about the bus: Relax. You're going to stop every five minutes and it's cool to see who gets on and gives you a better view of the countryside. Be polite. Offer your seat to the very old or very young when the bus fills up. It's good for your kharma. And position yourself so that you can breathe fresh air. It gets kind of funky in there.

Here are some shots from that trip. The bus stop in Independence. The bus to PG. There were some steep hills on the way and at one point I thought we might have to get out and push. The crowd. Note the guy on the right in the blue shirt. He and his benchmate are Mennonites. They tied up their horse and buggy next to the highway and were on their way to sell produce at the PG market.

Attachments

• IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 52
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back