Best Bonaire Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help! There is a group of 16 of us Orange Countydivers going to Bonaire for a week at Buddy Dive starting on April 6th. We would like to get your thoughts on the best…no the very best boat and shore dives sites to dive at. Thanks!

Sure! Here's a list of the best sites on Bonaire:
Bonaire Dive Guide | diving | bonaire | guide | shore | shorediving | boat | boatdiving | fishes | fish | coral
Sites 1-63 and A-Z are the best.:D

Seriously, all the sites are fantastic. What becomes the "best" site is often the critters at the site. That said:
Karpata is a fun site, and a famous one.
1,000 Steps has the fun walk to the site, and is an icon of Bonaire.
Hilma Hooker is a boat and shore (if you like swimming) wreck dive.
The Salt Pier and Town Pier have unique features.
Many of the southern sites have a unique "double-reef" feature.

But I learned quickly that any site is a great site. You'll love it anywhere you go.

Karpata to the north and Sweet Dreams to the south have unusually lush reefs.

Oil Slick Leap is a nice site, I've seen interesting animals there, and the option for giant stride in is one of Bonaire's signature things to do.

Hilma Hooker for the wreck and double reef system.

On your trip to Karpata, also hit Tolo (a.k.a.; Ol'Blue) - good site with pretty easy entry.

1,000 Steps is a good site, and that tall stair case (legs feel the burn heading up after your dive) is scenic for photos. I figure with 16 going, somebody is going to want a couples shot.

Richard.

Karpata
Rappel (boat)
Forest (boat)
1000Steps
Hilma Hooker
Angel City
Invisibles
Salt Pier
Vista Blue

Each dive is different from day to day but the dramatic topography of Karpata makes it a favorite for many. You will see many different ways to enter the water at this site but I think going to the right of the block (it will make sense when you see it) is easiest.

Both Tolo and Karpata are on the one way road so do Tolo before Karpata.

I favor the northern sites but the southern sites have better soft corals. Margate Bay is my favorite southern dive although Salt City was very nice with a patch of garden eel in the sand between the beach and the reef when I was there last week. The wind was more noticeable on the south end.
. IMG_4297.jpg

Take food, water, tanks, apres dive beers and

drive north young man

Karpata
candyland
taylormade
nukove

and then

salt pier at night

Forgot to mention Bari Reef. Makes a good night dive as well.

There is no reef as such but the debris at Chachacha in front of Dive Inn have recently had seahorses and a yellow frog fish. Check with Dive Friends there and they will show you a map of anything recently seen.

IMG_4396.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom