Fifty Places To Dive Before You Die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am not normally a big fan of scuba travel books, but Fifty Places by Chris Santella was going cheap on Amazon so I thought I would pick up a copy. Normally dive travel books fall into one of two camps: coffee table books with lavish photos, or detailed descriptions of unusual dive locales to visit. This book sadly manages to fall between the two.

Inauspiciously the author starts by admitting that he doesn't know much about diving, but gets his information from consulting with experts (who are a curious collection of explorers, tourist industry divers, explorers and minor diving celebs). He then rattles of a pretty decent list of the world's best know diving locales, pepping up with a couple of unorthodox ones to be quirky (starting with Antarctica) and to his credit, a good selection of colder water sites (Passamaquody Bay, Maine and Browning Pass, BC amongst others). Although the book does contain some handsome photos, it is certainly not lavishly illustrated. No locations has more than one photo, and several have none.

People normally criticise the choices, but Mr Santella has generally gone pretty mainstream. Oddly he has no place for anything in the Red Sea (which most Europeans will insist has the world's finest diving) and many locations smack of laziness. The Great Barrier Reef has one entry for better than a thousand miles. Yet the island of Grenada gets the same coverage, essentially dedicated solely to the wreck of the Bianca C. The Cayman Islands gets in (bizarrely under the "United Kingdom", which it isn't, whereas Scapa Flow (which is in the United Kingdom) gets put in under Scotland). But in Cayman they plump for Grand Cayman, whereas most divers from Cayman rate the diving in Cayman Brac and Little Cayman as superior. Balanced against that, he went off the beaten path in Belize instead of just routinely settling for the Blue Hole.

My overall feeling at the end was that whilst it is fun to "tick off" those places you have been to (I had done 7 of the 50), I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from reading the book, and it was not sufficiently lavish or big to fulfil a life as a coffee table book. The "How To" info for each place was pretty sketchy and could be superceded with a few minutes searching on the internet. Frankly it felt like a little bit of a lazy cash-in by someone who had some success publishing a book called Fifty Places To Sail Before You Die.

I was not too impressed by that book either. I mean how is it that Maine is listed as one of the TOP 50 dive destinations but Croatia is not? You kidding me? Then you see that the person who made that entry is a dive travel operator based out of Maine so you say aaahhh thats why!

I agree with the assessments above...not enough pictures or information and IMO not worth the money.

Received a copy as a Christmas gift from my nephew a few years ago. My housemate's pet parrot "ate" the cover so I guess it didn't like the book. Housemate bought me a new copy so I now have two. As for his suggested spots, I found a few worth giving consideration to.

the thing is - this is the type of book that is going to get people's noses out of joint in a hurry -
if there are only 50 - OF COURSE not all your personal fav spots are going to be listed ...and the implication that there are 50 you need to see before your die - makes it so exclusive - to the offense of so many because if you even only 'somewhat like' to dive - it's true - there are Waaaaay more then 50 spots you MUST see in the world before your dive - but i guess the sales success of a book called 'some really cool places to dive' isnt as catchy though right ? :wink:
nice pics, and objectively we could all argue that there are better spots - but i would refuse to dive at any of the spots listed.... maybe it should just not be taken too personally is all ?

the thing is - this is the type of book that is going to get people's noses out of joint in a hurry -
if there are only 50 - OF COURSE not all your personal fav spots are going to be listed ...and the implication that there are 50 you need to see before your die - makes it so exclusive - to the offense of so many because if you even only 'somewhat like' to dive - it's true - there are Waaaaay more then 50 spots you MUST see in the world before your dive - but i guess the sales success of a book called 'some really cool places to dive' isnt as catchy though right ? :wink:
nice pics, and objectively we could all argue that there are better spots - but i would refuse to dive at any of the spots listed.... maybe it should just not be taken too personally is all ?

Obviously no-one's gonna come up with a choice of 50 dive sites that everyone would agree with, but the gripe was more about the book being generally useless - very few pictures, very little info on the "how to" of particular dive sites etc.

Same thoughts as above.
Ordered it
Received it
Returned it
And finally forgot about it until now.

Yes but if you are going to ask 50 dive operators to "recommend" the worlds best dive site then they would recommend their own backyard $$$. This would cause places like Maine to make it into the "top 50 list" list over so many other spots in the world.

I checked it out at the library with some pretty high hopes.

By the time I returned it, I was convinced it was an interesting enough read but not worth much more than I had paid for it for the reasons stated above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom