Lightest dry weight BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slonda828

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I was curious if anyone had any experiences with really light BCs. I am not talking about the 6 pound kind that you can find in SCUBA magazines. I am talking under 4 pounds dry weight. I know the oxycheq ultralight is pretty close to 4 pounds.

Currently, for my travel BC, I have an Oceanic Oceanpro from the 90's. It is a no frills jacket and it only weighs 3 pounds. However, it is about 3 pounds positively buoyant, which sucks. It packs smaller than my BP/W, and weighs 4 pounds less than my BP/W. I paid 20 bucks for it on Ebay, and spent about 15 bucks in parts to service it.

Does anyone else have similar experiences? Any minimalist or one-off ideas out there?

(PS, I have an oxycheq BP/W, so feel free to leave the black arm bands in your dresser drawer. I do not want this to turn into one of those "buy a bp/w" threads. If you have a BP/W that is under 4 pounds, I'd love to hear about it.)

How about this one. Express Tech - Specialized BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems It looks good in the store....gotta talk to the owner and see if I can test drive one. I have been fondling it and I think you can move the top strap, making it work well with a DH...which I know is important to you. Or you could just do this- it's around 3 lbs and I don't need no stinkin BC:
normal_P7300047-small.jpg

You know I'm all about no stinking BC and a DH regulator, but the boats in the Cayman Islands sure want us to have regular setups. I'm just putting my feelers out there to see if I can come up with something really low drag.

Its not conventional but its lighter and more streamlined and more compact than most anything else on the market:

Parallels H-Sphere Account has been suspended

The lightest conventional rig I have seen was by oxycheq but I bet the DSS kydex BP/W comes close..

The Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate is only 9.6 onces.

Its not conventional but its lighter and more streamlined and more compact than most anything else on the market:

Parallels H-Sphere Account has been suspended

The lightest conventional rig I have seen was by oxycheq but I bet the DSS kydex BP/W comes close..

Link doesn't. Here's a link to a page with videos at the bottom of the page. Seeing the sidemount rig in the hands of a good diver = good stuff

Sidemount Equipment PADI and DSAT Sidemount Scuba Diving Training Course Director Steve Martin

DC

The Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate is only 9.6 onces.

Yeah, if you read my posts above yours, you will note that I already have one. Thanks, and drive through. :lotsalove:

How about this one. Express Tech - Specialized BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems It looks good in the store....gotta talk to the owner and see if I can test drive one. I have been fondling it and I think you can move the top strap, making it work well with a DH...which I know is important to you. Or you could just do this- it's around 3 lbs and I don't need no stinkin BC:
normal_P7300047-small.jpg

Hey Herman, see if you can get a dry weight off of that express tech.

I use the Apex WTX harness with a DiveRite Venture wing. It has to weight less than 4lbs but I'll weigh it and let you know.

wtx_harness.jpg

I use to dive the DiveRite TransPac and it is also pretty light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom