Very light BC recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlove

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have a recommendation for an ultra light bc for tropical diving? I have been traveling w/ my scubapro nighthawk which is great for cold water but over kill for traveling & warm water where I am using very little weights.

Well, the absolute lightest 'backplate' you can get is the Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Plate
OxyCheq Ultra Lite Back Plate reviews and discounts, OxyCheq

To this you need to add a small wing. Certainly less than 30# lift. Maybe the Deep Sea Supply wing:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=120

Add a couple of DiveRite Tank Bands
Dive Rite Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

A couple of Sex Bolts
Scuba Sex Bolts reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

And a harness:
OxyCheq Hogarthian Harness reviews and discounts, OxyCheq

You're all set!

Or, if you can stand just a little more weight, just buy the entire rig from DeepSeaSupply with a Kydex backplate. With that approach, you don't spend a lot of time shopping around.

Richard

-deleted-

Last edited:
The Zeagle Scout and the Express Tech both weight in at under 4lbs and are fairly inexpensive $220 to 260ish. Between the 2 you have a choice of a BP or back inflate style. Weight systems can be added if you like to either of them. There is a good review of the ET posted else where on the board. I have them both. The ET pack very small.

I use a Genesis Tropic for cold and warm water. It is light, I have taken it to Florida, Mexico and Borneo. Never had to pay extra luggage fees.

I like the tiny #20 lb wing by DSS which replaced my Ladyhawk - You can check in with Tobin at Deep Sea Supply to see what size wing works for you .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom