Advice on Zeagle ET harness and weight systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonknee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

First post here but have lurked for years. At 100+ dives each my wife (SSI Rescue Diver) and I (PADI AOW) have decided we need to buy BCD and regs to complete our own kit for warm water (Red Sea, Indian Ocean, Carribean, etc) diving. So research on travel BCDs led me to the extensive info here on the Zeagle ET which I have poured over. I am sold on the light weight, low clutter concept so the basic versions seems perfect.

Having only used rental jacket BCDs the extra quick releases on the deluxe model make it more familiar. Do users of the basic version miss the shoulder strap quick release? Currently we only use the QR to remove the BCD to get into a rib, how easy is this without the QR? As to safety if you did need remove an ET from an unresponsive partner how easy would it be without the shoulder QR?

I imagine that the single strap design means the shoulder portion lengthens when the belt buckle is undone. Is this correct or is there too much friction for this to be the case?

Likewise with releasing the crotch strap - this looks like is does have a QR but I can't quite tell in the images. Or does it fall off when you release the belt buckle?

Secondly I am an UW photographer, I have taken a camera on nearly 90% of my dives starting with a disposable and growing through a Canon compact to an Oly DSLR system. I am able to keep it neutrally buoyant so don't worry about being nose heavy. What would other photogs with an ET recommend as the weight system to allow maximum flexibility in body positioning?

I am short (5'2") and light (60kg) so I usually run 2-4kg of lead when diving my 3/2mm full suit with a 12l aluminium tank on a basic rental jacket BCD. I know I am going to have to adjust on test but I'd like to start by purchasing the most appropriate components - belt, zip or touch. (note: I have preferred integrated weights in a jacket BCD to a belt on the oddd occasion I have used them)

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Personally I use a belt when I do need weights in addition to a weight pouch on each cam band that may or may not be used depending on what tank I'm using. One of my students uses the zip touch and another prefers the set up I have. The problem with using the rip cord it that if you are used to pulling pouches out to get into a rib is that if you pull the handle your weights are gone. If someone manages to catch them then you need to restring the whole deal.
While I use a belt if it were necessary for me to remove weights to hand them up I might consider the zip touch. Mainly since I wear the belt under the crotch strap. I have seen someone undo the main buckle and forget to undo the weight belt and slide right down out of the unit. Luckily the water was shallow and no harm done.
As for getting the unit off. The harness does.slide easily through the attachment points at the waist. It's a good idea to put a keeper on the waist side to.prevent it sliding completely through or just too far. Adding a d ring on each hip works well for this. There is absolutely no need for a quick.release on this BC or the extra padding that is available. If you do a google search for zeagle express tech reviews you will see an extensive one I wrote on dailyscubabdiving.com should be in the top five or six results. I can't link to it from my phone.
The way the harness moves makes it extremely easy to doff and don without the need for quick.releases.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have an ET wit the basic strap. I also have a traditional BP and 2 standard BCD's for reference.

The straps have no friction so once you unto the waist buckle the should straps loosen. Actually too easy IMO, as there is a tendency in the dive for the waist belt to feel loose and you then re-tighten and the rig starts to ride of on your shoulders. So, out of the box, its not nearly as stable as a traditional BP/W. Some people add a crotch strap to help, but is is only 1/2 the solution.

My simple solution has 2 parts. First, add 2 triglides to the shoulder straps just before they enter the s/s anchor that marks the point where the strap transitions from shoulder to waist strap. What this does is allow you to set a minimum size for the should strap to you have something firm for the crotch strap to attach to. When you unbuckle the waist belt the shoulders still loosen as much as desired to allow easy removal in our our of the water. Second, as you have already guess, add a crotch strap. The combination of the 2 will make the ET just as rock solid stable as a traditional BP while allowing much easier egress/exit.

I messed with crotch straps wit buckles and quick releases, the all were just one more link to come lose at the wrong time. A simple piece of soft 2 inch webbing and 2 triglides made a simple crotch straps that is bullet proof.

As for weights I use a belt for warm water and a harness for cold. I just like to keep it simple.

Thanks guys, very useful.

Since I am in the UK there are not many Zeagles in the shops. The dealer is in Aberdeen and I am in London so I expect I will have to buy without trying it. Hence the description of how the harness slides and how to prevent it are very helpful. Being short of stature I have always suffered from jackets riding too high and hitting my head on the first stage so these tips on stopping it riding up are great.

As to weights am I correct in thinking that if you pull the handle on a Zip Touch System you end up holding the weight in a pouch? Or does it open a flap at the bottom so the weight can fall out?

Pretty sure I've read your review Jim thanks.

Any more thoughts from UW Photographers out there would be greatly appreciated (or should I post in a different forum?)

Simon

I don't know the answer to this question as I have never used a zip-touch. If you post the question on the Zeagle forum I bet Scott Zeagle will give you the answer withing 24 hours, he is very responsive to questions / problems.

The problem with using the rip cord it that if you are used to pulling pouches out to get into a rib is that if you pull the handle your weights are gone. If someone manages to catch them then you need to restring the whole deal.
Except that's not how it's normally used.

You unzip the top of the Ripcord system pockets to load/unload weights normally, you only pull the red handle in an emergency to jettison all your weight quickly. Watch the first minute of this video: Ripcord Rethread - Zeagle Dive Systems

The yellow weight bags are a good option as they have wide handles - easier for a crewmember to grab when you hand them up. Mine also have an internal velcro divider which is handy when trying to precisely tune your weight using lead shot - they keep it (or small weights) from shifting around. I believe they're the 18lb. bags.

The Zip-touch is similar. You load it thru two zippered top openings. There are two quick release red handles to drop weights quickly. I'm not as familiar with the zip-touch as I've only seen it once in a store.http://www.zeagle.com/showproduct/1038/Zip-Touch-Weight-System/

Last edited:
Ok but I said IF someone is used to pulling a handle to dump and does so then the weights are gone. If they use the correct loading procedure, and I would add build muscle memory, there would not be a problem.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

So both systems use a zipped top to put in and a red handle to remove. Since I have nearly always dived a weight belt learning this would be easy as I am not used to any other integrated system.

Given the pouches appear to mount nearer your back than your front how easy is it to unzipper them when strapped into the BC? Plus if I only put 1-2kg (2-4lb) on each side is this going to be rattling around in those pockets?

---------- Post Merged at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:50 AM ----------

I just found this video which answers my last questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km8j8DwjnCc

Actually quite like this ripcord system now. It looks like it would be even simpler on the ET since you won't have the little qr that the video features. A big plus is that if you ditch the weights (accidentally or not) the most you will loose is the natty yellow bag. Being bright yellow they stand the chance of being recoverable too. This does not render the system unusable. If you ditch the weight on some integrated systems you are loosing a necessary part of the system.

Grumpy
Can you post a picture of the location of the triglides and the crotch strap.
I have exactly the issue you describe if I run a ALU 80 low so it becomes buoyant. No issue when it is still full unless I roll over on my back.

Simon
I am in the UK. I use Zeagle touch on my last 2 dive vacations. It works fine with a total 10 - 12 lbs, normally I use 8lbs for warm water. I would not like to put much more in them.
The system is great for travel, dries quickly, great underwater, not qute so comfortable on the surface.
I use the plain harness, no problems getting on or off in or out of the water.

I would recommend this system, ask for some extra screw/nut as I have lost a couple and must get some. Maybe a touch of glue or similar, or just check after every dive until you are sure they stay tight.

I have an ET wit the basic strap. I also have a traditional BP and 2 standard BCD's for reference.

The straps have no friction so once you unto the waist buckle the should straps loosen. Actually too easy IMO, as there is a tendency in the dive for the waist belt to feel loose and you then re-tighten and the rig starts to ride of on your shoulders. So, out of the box, its not nearly as stable as a traditional BP/W. Some people add a crotch strap to help, but is is only 1/2 the solution.

My simple solution has 2 parts. First, add 2 triglides to the shoulder straps just before they enter the s/s anchor that marks the point where the strap transitions from shoulder to waist strap. What this does is allow you to set a minimum size for the should strap to you have something firm for the crotch strap to attach to. When you unbuckle the waist belt the shoulders still loosen as much as desired to allow easy removal in our our of the water. Second, as you have already guess, add a crotch strap. The combination of the 2 will make the ET just as rock solid stable as a traditional BP while allowing much easier egress/exit.

I messed with crotch straps wit buckles and quick releases, the all were just one more link to come lose at the wrong time. A simple piece of soft 2 inch webbing and 2 triglides made a simple crotch straps that is bullet proof.

As for weights I use a belt for warm water and a harness for cold. I just like to keep it simple.

So both systems use a zipped top to put in and a red handle to remove.
Not exactly. In normal use you'll never touch the red handle, you will both insert and remove the weight bags (or free weights) from the top thru the zippered opening. Pulling the red Ripcord handle will jettison the weights out the bottom so unless you have hands under both sides simultaneously there's no way to catch the weight bags as they fall.

I've never needed to pull my Ripcord during normal use. I did it once or twice during practice, mostly so I could try rethreading it - it's easy enough to understand that I did it on a dive dock once with no instruction manual.

The only time I've ever seen someone pull the Ripcord was once when I watched a woman step onto a dock and pull it to drop her weights so she wouldn't have to carry them up two flights of stairs. (Her husband picked them up) Seemed like their normal mode of operation.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom