What would you do or has this happened to you with your weights!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was diving this morning at La Jolla Shores CA and my dive buddy"s integrated weight (velcro secured) fell out. Thank God we were heading back towards shore and this happened at 20 feet. All I know is, I took a look at my gauge for a second and when I turned to look for my buddy she was gone. She said when her weight fell out she immediately shot up like a rocket!!! She at least remembered to breathe and not hold her breath and we ere pretty shallow. It brought something to my attention that this could have happened at our 75 foot depth that we were earlier. Thats why I wanted to ask for any thoughts or experiences this topic, on what to do if this should occur especially below 30 feet.

What bcd was she wearing?

I know at least some of the companies that came out with Velcro integrated pockets changed that design to something less vulnerable to accidental loss, but not all of them. They are not a good thing, IMO. On one trip in Cozumel years ago, I found two such weight packets on two different days of diving.

On the other hand, I think you can do things that will make that not such a big deal:

1. Make sure you are as properly weighted as you can be. You were near the end of the dive at 20 feet. I am guessing you she had a fairly thick wet suit, which does tend to get you overweighted. At the end of the dive, having lost most of the air from the tank, you should not have a lot of air in the BCD. This has another advantage in that Velcro pockets with too much weight in them are good candidates for falling out.

2. Next, distribute the weight for the purpose of achieving trim. If I were diving a BCD of that type, I would try to have about half my weight in trim pockets near the shoulders, either in the BCD if it has them or on the cam bands if it does not. Let's say that a diver wearing a heavy wet suit needs 16 pounds in salt water. If only half of it is in the two weight pockets, then losing one of those pockets would only cost that diver 4 pounds--an amount that should be controllable.

I dive with weights distributed quite a bit. I was diving not all that far from you last year when I saw a small weight pouch lying on the rocks in the kelp right below me. I thought, hey, that's the same brand of pouch I use on my cam bands. (It was the kind that can slip over and be held in place by the pressure of the cam band's tightness against the tank. I picked it up and noticed that a name was written on it--mine! I have no idea how it managed to come loose and drop off, but the amount of weight in it was so small that I had not even detected the difference.

I find the "balanced rig" approach persuasive: If you are weighted exactly right, all your lead can be attached securely to your BC, and you shouldn't need ANY releasable/ditchable weight pockets. I'm aware there are pros and cons to this approach and that it isn't equally suitable in every circumstance. It is just one school of thought.

She lost one of weights of an older Sea Quest.

How "worn" was the velcro? My wife has a Diva that is about 6 years old. The velco is still very tight and grabs quite tight, but at the most she has 6 lbs in a pouch.

I find the "balanced rig" approach persuasive: If you are weighted exactly right, all your lead can be attached securely to your BC, and you shouldn't need ANY releasable/ditchable weight pockets. I'm aware there are pros and cons to this approach and that it isn't equally suitable in every circumstance. It is just one school of thought.

A similar school of thought is that if you are properly weighted, you only need as much ditchable weight as the weight of the air in the tank. A properly weighted diver should find it very difficult to sink with an empty tank.

I was going to say if you are properly weighted you shouldn't have "shot up like a rocket!"

I usually take some time to make sure there are no air pockets in my crotch or armpits. I then make sure I'm totally relaxed. Even with no extra air in my wetsuit or lungs I don't sink like a rock (well at least not until my wetsuit compresses).

Every time I change my kit I take time to ensure I am properly weighted.

I want to thank everyone for their advise which I will take definitely take it for myself and for my dive buddy. Some of the other details i did not mention, relating to this issue: she was wearing an 8mm henderson, and was using an aluminum tank. She also had 20 pounds (10 lbs on each side) for primary weights) and 6 lbs trim weights on back. The velcro was to functioning properly an was not faulty. She believes that she could have inadvertently unlocked the velcro flap, while opening her pocket.While I do believe that properly checking the function and condition of equipment ( includes weights) prior to entering the water is imperative, the potential for inadvertently unlocking one of the primary weights is very real, and can present a dangerous situation. I believe this an happen to anyone who uses integrated weights. Integrated weights should have some type of precautionary measure to prevent this from happening, in the event they lose one of their primary weights. After reading everyones comments I think their still need to be something that can be done when this actually occurs, I believe that I have an alternative I would like to share with you.

I believe that some type or tether or leash should be designed as a security measure to prevent an inadvertent release of a weight or weights. The leash or tether must not interfere or obstruct the quick release of a weight ditch. It will have to be easy to detach from weight and must field field tested under different conditions. This item can be done and since the integrated weights are now the norm something more needs to be done to prevent this from happening to anyone else. I strongly believe this issue is not going away I would like to hear your thoughts and possible solutions.

That's too much weight in those pockets. I never would put more than 4-6 lbs in each one. Distribute the rest between trim pockets and a belt or weight harness.

Back
Top Bottom