Wing question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered a BPW set up form my LDS. The initial order was for a SS plate and 38lb wing. Most of my diving will be in the Gulf of Mexico so by many peoples standards warm water. I hope to travel with it, again warm to tropical water. After waiting 5-6 weeks I'm told that the wing is still a few weeks out. I have been offered a 45lb wing at no additional charge. Is there any reason not to take the bigger wing?
Thanks

I would say to cancel the wing order and order one from DRIS or Jim Lapenta here on SB.

Who's wing is it that is taking so long to receive?

A 45 lb wing for single tank COLD water diving is way too much. So that is even amplified in the warmer waters you are talking about.

I dive California 48-57 degree water and I have more than enough lift with a 32lb hog wing.

No way I would want anything larger unless I go to doubles in the future.

I appreciate opinions and expect as much when asking a question here. I got a good deal and decided I wanted to buy from my LDS and not save a little money and buy online. I'm not really looking for opinions of discussion about that, it is a whole other topic. I'm also not really looking for opinions about one manufacture vs another.
If say you only needed to haul dog food and groceries it would not mean that the truck with bigger hauling capacity is worse, maybe a bad analogy, buts why I posted.
Keith, you said you would not dive 45lbs, I'm looking for reasons why. What are the drawbacks?
Thanks

I ordered a BPW set up form my LDS. The initial order was for a SS plate and 38lb wing. Most of my diving will be in the Gulf of Mexico so by many peoples standards warm water. I hope to travel with it, again warm to tropical water. After waiting 5-6 weeks I'm told that the wing is still a few weeks out. I have been offered a 45lb wing at no additional charge. Is there any reason not to take the bigger wing?
Thanks

Definitely not 45lb wing. If I have to guess, it is a double duty wing, for both single and double tank. It is good for either. You mention warm water and tropical vacation. I will suggest to get a wing no more than 30lb, and AL plate.

38lbs, much less 45lbs, is way too much wing for tropical single tank diving. For comparison, here in Hawaii I dive a Halcyon 27lb Pioneer wing on a 6lb steel plate with single AL80s or steel HP100s plus a slung AL40, and it's perfect; the 18lb batwing is cutting it a bit close with the slung 40.

You keep asking what the drawback to a bigger wing could possibly be, though, so I guess having a bunch of extra wing flapping around as you try to push its drag through the water is NBD.

I think you misinterpreted my question. I'm looking for reasons or facts not a bunch of opinions. I'm liable to get as many opinions as replys. As I stated I do value the opinions of the members here and that's why I asked, I'm just trying to balance that with some substance. More drag is a drawback and the constructive feedback I'm looking for. Thank you.

Ok. How about excessive wing to pinch. More wing to pack for travel. Easier to trap air and harder to dump.

Fact: 45lbs wings are bigger than 38lb wings.
Fact: 38lb wings are bigger than anyone needs for tropical diving.
Fact: bigger wings have more drag than smaller wings.

Hope that cleared it up for you. If you want to kick the extra drag around, nobody here cares about your wasting energy. But don't get pissy when someone didn't use sufficiently small words to explain exactly why bigger wings than your buoyancy needs require...aren't optimal. Telling you the wings you're considering are too big for your stated use isn't opinion, no matter how much your feelings want it to be.

A wing that is too large will "taco" around the tank...

attachment.php

schurtz.jpg

As others have pointed out "the facts" of the matter are that a wing that is unecessarily large (such as both that you are describing) will have more drag, be harder to dump, pack larger, trap air unevenly, etc.

A proper sized wing will be far more streamlined in the water. To the point that you might not even notice that the diver even HAS a wing...

Carib_112113_033.jpg

I'm diving a Halcyon 30 wing in the photo above.

A 45lb wing for single tank warm-water diving? For comparison I dive a Halcyon 40lb wing with DOUBLES.

Last edited:
Dynamic instability......a large wing will Taco around the tank often trapping air at the highest point above the tank while horizontal. This at best makes trim/buoyancy challenging and at worst slow to exhaust and dangerous when ascending....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom