Too windy to dive the wall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Leaving for LC in a week! Looked at long range forecast and it says winds of 25.... Crappola... is that normal? Will it be to windy to even go out? That would really suck :( . Bill

Unfortunately, that's (kinda--sorta) common in winter there-----those US cold fronts can kick your butt down there-------hoping they're wrong & you get/have calm flat seas........Have a good trip.......

wildbill,

I have learned not to put much stock in long range forecasts. But, even if the forecast is correct, wind direction is far more important than speed. Speed of 25 knots or more from the north or northeast are not unusual in winter and will probably prevent them from diving the north (Bloody Bay) side of the island. But, there are excellent walls all around that island--I actually prefer the south side walls. Just go, have a good time and (as my momma used to say) "don't holler 'till you're hurt".

We went to LCBR earlier in November of this year and had the same issue with 20-25 mph winds because of a cold front in the US. The first day we were there, winds were about 10-15 mph out of the north and we were able to make it around to the north side to dive Bloody Bay for our morning dives. By the afternoon, winds had picked up enough where we couldn't make it to the north side, so we were on the south side for the rest of the trip (north/northeast winds around 18-25 mph). The wall and reefs on the south side were still great, and we saw lots of turtles, some sharks, lots of rays, etc. Only one of the days it was so rough that they kept us pretty close to shore on the south side (not farther out to the wall) and the shallower depth combined with the surge made the vis not as great as the other days. We also couldn't do the night dive because it was too rough.

If the wind is coming from the north, you should be ok but you'll probably be on the south side. The DM told us that if it was coming out of the south that strong, they might not have been able to make it out past the coral cut.

Have a good trip!

My wife and I are heading to LVBR next Tuesday the 9th. Hopefully to good weather and 80+ degree water. I wouldn't mind doing some diving on the South side.

I was at LCBR once when the wind was howling from the south for several days and the waves were too big for the boats to make the cut.
Reef Divers hauled all of our gear up to a shore entry near Jackson's on the leeward side and we were treated to guided valet shore diving on Jackson's wall.
Southern Cross did the same for their clients.

It was a lot of work for the staff but it made what would have been a bad week, great.

The manager at the dive shop, Ben, also mentioned that if the weather was too severe to be able to get a bent diver across to GC by plane, they would scrub diving entirely.

by the way, the forecast for next week is winds from the NE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom