Do you fill 6351 T-6 Tanks

Will you fill 6351 T-6 tanks

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Many shops and fill stations these days are refusing to fill tanks that are suspected to be made with 6351 T-6 Aluminum. So I am wondering how many do and don't. Please only respond if you are actually involved in filling tanks whether as a shop owner, compressor owner or a shop employee. If you are a casual user such as divemaster/instructor please respond with the store policy on this.
Thanks for your help.

Yes, as long as the have been eddy current tested.

As long as there was an eddy done in the last 12 months.

I will only overfill them by 100 psi.

I don't, because there was talk when DOT made the 6351 rules that they would have to be filled in a containment fill station. That may or may not have happened, but I fill out on the deck of a dive boat, where we cannot limit customer access to the fill station, so we just make it policy not to allow personal 6351 cylinders. To offset the pain, cylinder rental is included in the cost of the trip.

If only it also covered doubles and deco bottles.

I do not fill 6351-T6 have not for several years. I hope you understand with my explanation. regardless I will not fill them.
This topic gets a lot of attention everywhere. Many LDS’s like mine are independently owned and as such the store owner is the one person that can set policy for their business. As they try to satisfy all entities that make contact with the business. That includes customer, volunteer helpers, independent instructors and leaders, staff, owner/management, training agency, equipment manufacturer/supplier, and often numerous government agencies.
It is possible for differing geographic areas to have varied requirements put on the individual business
I can only speak regarding my decision in my location.
Here in Ontario the Ministry of Labour governs all work places, and requires employers to exercise due diligence for safety in the workplace.
What is the test of due diligence you ask?
Documentation of an effective OH&S program which includes:
; A written OHS program that has been implemented.
; An employer who takes steps to control or eliminate specific hazards.
; Written safe work procedures that are understood and followed by workers.
; Workers who are provided with adequate instruction, training, supervision and discipline to work safely.

The emphasis on control or eliminate specific hazards above has played a large part in my decision.
Luxfer has documented on their web site; Sustained-load cracking - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide
How many aluminum cylinders have exhibited SLC?
Out of a total population of approximately 1,073,000 Luxfer scuba cylinders made of 6351lloy, only 1.25% have exhibited SLC.
Out of Luxfer's total 6.1-million population of 6351-alloy cylinders, the SLC rate is slightly less than 0.37%.

( That if my math is correct implies 13412 if I use 1.25% of 1,073,000 or 22570 if I use .037% of 6.1 million Cylinders have exhibited SLC)

The chance of one of these cylinders entering my store - inevitable and I can say I have had several over the years but do not see many anymore.

What can I do properly-train my staff to be aware and knowledgeable..
The fill station operator(FSO)is most likely the first contact for the cylinder. Lets look at this role.
The fill station operator (FSO) and store owner have important roles to play in cylinder safety. At each fill, the FSO determines that the cylinder is within the valid hydrotest period and checks for evidence of a visual inspection within the past year. The FSO should have confidence in the quality of the inspection based on the knowledge, and experience of the inspector. (How can I easily confirm the qualifications of another store or individuals inspection??) Are they qualified? What standard do they inspect to? I know several of the local store owners and staff but what about those I do not?
I contacted several stores to make inquires and got little or no information from most (Sad but true)
The position it put me in was one that I could not satisfy Ministry of Labour Due diligence requirements to control the hazard so I was left with only the option to eliminate it. No more filling or service of the affected cylinders.
Concerned how that would affect my customer (many of who had these older cylinders) I sent out in my news bulletins about the change and that as it was a decision I was making that would impact them I would offer all affected cylinders a trade in value that would allow them to replace their old cylinder and valve at a substantially lower retail. If you have one today that policy is still in place.

I will fill as long as they are current and I know the inspector. I will not over a 6351 at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom