Just got an Atmos 2...any tips on loading the software on XP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read that some folks have had issues downloading the s/w that comes with the Atmos 2. Before I load the s/w, I would appreciate any tips, hints or suggestions that might make it easier for me. I run XP Service Pack 2 on my PC.

Thanks!

I just purchases an Atmos AI, the software works fine on my XP SP2 computer but you have to use the standard XP Theme. Mine is modified (silver look with black desktop) and causes the Aeris software to black out the text areas.

Otherwise works fine, I just switch to the standard theme when using the software.

Wish Aeris would fix it though.

Cheers

I also use it on Windows XP SP2. It can be flakey at times, but in general it works OK. I have to make sure I back-up the database (export) after each set of dive downloads. I had it crash on my once and it corrupted the database. It can be finicky when you are entering additional information (SAC rate,comments). If I've downloaded a series of dives, I can usually enter information on 1 or 2 and then it won't let me type into the available fields on the subsequent dives. I have to close and re-launch the software to finish up the remaining dives.

One thing I also do since I don't 100% trust the software is that I (1) keep an excel log as well with main main info about the dive and (2) print out the dive (dive info and graph) to a PDF for backup.

Oh ... one more thing.

The cable can also by tricky. When you plug it into the computer (the Atmos 2, not your computer) it has a tendency to "wobble" up and down. It is secure left to right, but it can still move up and down. It's really hard to explain but will probably become clear once you've done it a time or two. Anyway, it's critical to pay attention to whether or not the gold pins in the cable are fully in contact with the gold contacts on the computer (the Atmos 2). If they aren't, it won't make a connection and you won't be able to download. I typically follow this procedure:

1. Plug cable into PC (USB side of the cable)
2. Start the software
3. Put it in download mode ready for me to click the download button
4. Put the Atmos 2 into download mode (Set 1 / PC mode)
5. Connect the cable to the Atmos 2
6. Look from the underside (hold the computer upside down) to make sure the connection looks good
7. Begin the download
8. I hold the cable and the computer securely in my hand for the length of the download
9. If the download doesn't start, I start over again at step 3

Good luck!

Check the Aeris Website to make sure you have the latest version of their software. They recently released a much-improved version (ACI 2). The sofware can be downloaded for free at http://www.diveaeris.com/service_software.html .

I didn't care for the software that came with my Atmos 2 dive computer. I've found the new version of the software to be a HUGE improvement.

Divin'Hoosier:
I also use it on Windows XP SP2. It can be flakey at times, but in general it works OK. I have to make sure I back-up the database (export) after each set of dive downloads. I had it crash on my once and it corrupted the database. It can be finicky when you are entering additional information (SAC rate,comments). If I've downloaded a series of dives, I can usually enter information on 1 or 2 and then it won't let me type into the available fields on the subsequent dives. I have to close and re-launch the software to finish up the remaining dives.

One thing I also do since I don't 100% trust the software is that I (1) keep an excel log as well with main main info about the dive and (2) print out the dive (dive info and graph) to a PDF for backup.

I found many bugs with the ACI 1 as well. I would frequently have to restart the program when uploading dives from my Atmos 2 to my home computer. I haven't had problems with the new version. I'm curious to know if the problems you've described are with the latest version.

The software allows you to back up to an MS Access file; however, I think your advice on printing out to a PDF file is good advice.

I'm considering using the new Aeris software as my primary dive log. I don't want to jump in if others have had problems.

EricJ:
I found many bugs with the ACI 1 as well. I would frequently have to restart the program when uploading dives from my Atmos 2 to my home computer. I haven't had problems with the new version. I'm curious to know if the problems you've described are with the latest version.

The software allows you to back up to an MS Access file; however, I think your advice on printing out to a PDF file is good advice.

I'm considering using the new Aeris software as my primary dive log. I don't want to jump in if others have had problems.

Hummm. Good question. Let's see .. let me open the software.

The About screen says AERIS Computer Interface Version 2.0.3. Thinking back, I did download this off of the AERIS website. I just checked the website and this is the latest version, dated 2/24/06.

So ... looks like the issues I have are with the lastest release of the software, not the older ACI v1 software. Bummer!

I always have beter results holding the computer in my hand with as little strain on the cable as possible.

Divin'Hoosier:
Hummm. Good question. Let's see .. let me open the software.

The About screen says AERIS Computer Interface Version 2.0.3. Thinking back, I did download this off of the AERIS website. I just checked the website and this is the latest version, dated 2/24/06.

So ... looks like the issues I have are with the lastest release of the software, not the older ACI v1 software. Bummer!

Sounds like I will need to download from the web-site. The disk that came with mine is "AC12.X" "Version 2.0.2" Thanks, again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom