New Suunto Cobra!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,
I just got my new Suunto Cobra with QD. Right now I have the Citizen Aqualand, which I have been happy with, but I am really exctied about the Cobra and AI. How many of you also dive with your analog SPG? I am thinking I want to dive with both. All you Cobra users....anything you wish you knew before your first dive with it. I am leaving for a week of diving in Bonaire in 4 days!!!!

I have a Cobra with the quick disconnect. I have six dives with it and it has been working great. I haven't gone deep at all with it, 60 feet max 30 average, but is a really user friendly piece of equipment. One thing that I have seen is that when I dive, and put all the gear in the trunk of my car to go to a new dive site, I unhook the computer and take it in the car with me. That way the tank doesn't roll around or my weights don't move and damage the most expensive thing I own. Well, the quick disconnect gets wet inside and out on the hose as does the female end on the computer. I haven't had any problems with it, but I just don't know how good it is for the insides of them to get wet then put them back together and then go diving. Like I said, I haven't had problems, but maybe you'd like to know and keep that in the back of your head. Good luck.
-Lutta

I dive with an air integrated Vytec and an analog SPG... 'cause you just never know.. If I had an AI Cobra I'd still want an analog SPG.. be sure to get the Sunnto quick disconnect.. Suunto makes excellent computers and the best quick connects..

Congratulations, I have over 50 dives on mine and love it. Here is what has helped me.

Get a retractor clip to hold the computer close to the BCD, just yank it away from your body to look at it, like an underwater janitor.

The laminated card is good to carry on the boat, but be sure to bring the book to keep in your roon the first few trips.

Learn to use the logbook feature, it will provide you with good information to fill your manual logbook if you wish to do so.

The Cobra's profiles are very conservative. If you are considered by your doctor to be in good health, you should be OK to use the healthy profiles. Even then, you will find it gives you a longer surface interval than some of the other computers.

Thanks for all your hopful tips...I did get the quick disconnect. I have been reading the manual and the laminated card is helpful. I can't wait to dive with it...3 days and counting until I leave..

Let me attest to the fact the Cobra is very sturdy! I just ran over mine with a 1 ton duelly truck. It smashed the compass on the end to smitherines, but just broke the face plate cover iof the actual computer in two. Computer works great, and the local dive shop had a new face plate cover and popped it on! Unfortunately they didn't have a compass, but I have one ordered.

It was Very conservative, however, in part because I still had High Altitude set (for previous dive in WV)! I am more than slightly senile, as you can tell, so I need a good computer.....

My OW Rig has the Cobra attached... Have used it for roughly 150+ Dives... Several Ice Dives and many deep dives... I love the computer and have never had a problem with it.

I don't bring along another SPG ... But hey a backup never hurt anyone

Take an analog spg but dont use both. Its a waste of space. The whole reason to go AI is to get rid of the SPG. Otherwise you should have saved some money and brought a Mosquito.
Buy or build a download cable (I made 3 for $24NZ). And before you start diving it set it to 10 second sample rate.

Congratulations, the Cobra is a really nice computer to dive with.
As renthal mentioned, the logbook feature is nice, downloading the data using a USB cable is better. :wink:
And yes, 10 seconds data capture rate is best IMHO.

Have fun in Bonaire !

Tanker

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom