No frills nitrox computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro212

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a nitrox computer without all kinds of bells and whistles. I don't need it to tell me the date and time or to sound an alarm when the water temperature changes 2 degrees. And I don't need to download all my dives onto my computer. I just want to be able to input percentage of gas and have it display the basics while I'm diving. And it would be nice if it were durable and reliable. A backlit screen and audible ascent alarm would be considered options. I am not out to impress anyone with a dive computer that has a phone log, plays DVD's, and warns me when my wife's birthday is two days away (although that would be really cool).

What would you suggest?

Oceanic Veo 180? This is probably as basic as one can get.

The Suunto Gekko fits your description. It's a back-to-basics nitrox computer that's inexpensive without being cheap.

R..

Another vote for the Suunto Gekko. I recently got this as a backup to my Vyper. (No backlight, phosphorescent screen instead, but I actually prefer that myself.)

Damselfish:
Another vote for the Suunto Gekko. I recently got this as a backup to my Vyper. (No backlight, phosphorescent screen instead, but I actually prefer that myself.)

Chalk up one more for the Gekko. It runs the same algorithms as the other Suunto computers at a fraction of the cost. I have had mine for a couple months now and I really love it.

-Keith

I'll second the vote for the Apeks Quantum.. and it's various clones:Tusa IQ-700, Cressi-Sub Archimedes, and Dive Rite Nitek Duo. Unless you're really attached to the shape of the buttons / wristband design of any of these... just go for what's available cheapest. They're all Seiko computers underneath, and I'm pretty sure that they all share the same functions.

Larry at Scubatoys.com likely has the best prices on all three. He has the Cressi version for $279.95 on his site, but if you call, it's likely a little bit less.

-B.

Back
Top Bottom