Coz water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What's the water temp at this week?

Thanks.

I was just in Coz last week and the water temps were running cooler than normal for this time of year. There were thermoclines on some sites, too, so that made a big difference. For the week, my computer readings ranged from 76-81. I would highly recommend taking more thermal protection than you would normally need so you don't spend the week shivering like we did.

Angie

cxg31s:
I was just in Coz last week and the water temps were running cooler than normal for this time of year. There were thermoclines on some sites, too, so that made a big difference. For the week, my computer readings ranged from 76-81. I would highly recommend taking more thermal protection than you would normally need so you don't spend the week shivering like we did.

Angie
What kind of suit did you have?
We're heading to Coz on Saturday and would like to know if we need to bring the 3mm AND the core warmer.

Angie, you can't just make a statement "I was just in Coz last week" and give no details!!! How was it???

Brr. That is cool for this time. Those are cenote temps. I think I'll be packing my full collection of wetsuits. (I prefer to layer as needed rather then have one thicker suit.)

We've been diving in full 3-2s, with hoods, down to around 80ft. Temps should not be a problem unless you're very sensitive to the cold. Of course, I dive in PA where the temps get down to the mid forties below the thermocline...

RiotNrrd

rje634:
What kind of suit did you have?
We're heading to Coz on Saturday and would like to know if we need to bring the 3mm AND the core warmer.

Angie, you can't just make a statement "I was just in Coz last week" and give no details!!! How was it???

LOL I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you hanging, but I'm writing a TR and didn't want to give away too much detail! I will post my TR as soon as I get it done, I promise. :)

Okay, let me be more specific on the suits we used and maybe that will help you decide. I am a WWW and am very sensitive to the cold. I wore a 2-pc. jane/shorty--each piece is 3 mil--and a 2 mil vest with a beanie and was freezing. A friend loaned me his 5/3 hooded vest which I wore on top of my 2-pc., which helped, but I still shivered through every dive, especially after 14 dives!

Now, another member of my group is also a WWW. He wore a 1 mil with a 7 mil hyperstretch on top and a polartec hood, and he also froze.

The other 2 members of my group wore 3 mil full suits with hoods, and they were also cold. They said more than once that they wished they had packed their 5 mils. One was a woman, one was a guy.

The DM (Pedro of Blue XTSea plug plug) even got cold and put on his Polartec under his wetsuit. I don't know what thickness his wetsuit is, but I can tell you he is in dire need of a new one. :)

I should also mention that the thermoclines contributed in large part to our shivering. Even though hurricane season is over, nortes are very common this time of year, so that makes the water temps and currents fluctuate. The thermoclines weren't on every dive, nor were they consistent according to depth. We even experienced 3 temperature ranges at the same depth on the same dive!

Since all of my group got cold and we were different sexes and different levels of cold tolerance, I would highly advise you to err on the side of caution and pack your 3 mm and the core warmer. Hey if you don't end up needing it, then you can leave it on the boat, and if you get cold, you'll be glad you have it. Better safe than shivering! :)

I hope this helps--please let me know if you have any other questions. Trust me, you guys will have a great time. Just as a teaser, there is some damage from Wilma both topside and UW, but there is far more that wasn't damaged, some new formations have been uncovered and the marine life is even more prolific--turtles and eagle rays on every dive! :)

Angie

cxg31s:
Now, another member of my group is also a WWW. He wore a 1 mil with a 7 mil hyperstretch on top and a polartec hood, and he also froze.

Wow! In 76-81 dgree water??? That's a whole new level of WWW. We dive in 50 degree water in 7 mil suits in these parts.

Last time I was in 76 degree water I dove in trunks or maybe a 2 mil shorty.

Last time I was in 81 degree water I wore a 3 mil full to get weighting right and thought I was gonna die of overheating.

I can't believe what y'all call chilly! I can't wait to get into that bathtub in a couple weeks. I guess there are benefits to getting used to our cold (and I mean actually cold) waters here in California.

Woohoo! Can't wait for Coz :D

cxg31s:
LOL I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you hanging, but I'm writing a TR and didn't want to give away too much detail! I will post my TR as soon as I get it done, I promise. :)
The DM (Pedro of Blue XTSea plug plug) even got cold and put on his Polartec under his wetsuit. I don't know what thickness his wetsuit is, but I can tell you he is in dire need of a new one. :)
Angie
Thanks for the info, we do dive the Northeast so cold is a relative thing. But we will be bringing the full gambit of hyperstretch.
We'll be diving with Pedro next week.
I look forward to your trip report...

Thanks, Angie...

You've been a big help. A group of us from the Lunarfins in Houston are coming down for a week on Saturday. www.geocities.lunarfins. Now I'll be able to let the others know that they may wish to be a little more versatile than usual. Looking forward to your TR if you have not posted it yet. PS.....what's a WWW?

Regards,

WWW = warm water wimp

I'm a proud card-carrying member and don't intend on ever diving cold. My blood is so thin even a drysuit couldn't keep me warm! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom