Christi's Restaurant list - updated...but not exhaustive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Christi’s Restaurant List (in no particular order)

* right around $5 or less ** $5 to $15 * ** $10 to $15 **** $10 to $30+

**La Choza – Corner of Av. 10 and Adolpho Rosada Salas Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Yucatecan style Mexican food – Shrimp Chile Rellenos, and fajitas are among my favorites.

**Sonora Grill – Corner of Av. 15 and Benito Juarez. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.
Mexican Seafood and traditional fare. Sonora shrimp and garlic shrimp are my favorites.

**El Moro – back in the hood…just tell the taxi driver the name of the restaurant Open for lunch and dinner, closed on Thursdays. Traditional and local Mexican food with a great seafood selection. Consommé de Moro, shrimp on a wire, and Mole Enchiladas are my favorites. Try the fried bananas as a desert or appetizer.

*El Pique – Av. 30 between Benito Juarez and Calle 2 (across from San Francisco) Open 7 days a week for dinner only. My favorite taco stand. Tacos el Pastor or beef tacos with cheese, serape style

*Las Palmas (cocina economica) – corner of Av. 25 and Calle 3 Cheap eats for lunch only Monday through Saturday. My favorite is the Chicken Relleno.

*Chilangos – Av. 10 between Calle 11 and Calle 15 Open for lunch only Monday through Friday. Another cheap local eats place. Daily specials vary.

*Los Seras – Corner of Av. 30 and Calle 3 Open 7 days a week for dinner only. Another great taco place. Tacos al pastor are the best here.

*Camilo’s – Av 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 Open 7 days a week from 10:00am to 7:00pm
One of my very favorites! Seafood tacos and tortas. My favorites are the shrimp tacos or shrimp torta.

**** Guido’s – Main waterfront between Calle 6 and Calle 8 Open Monday through Saturday for lunch and dinner. Another favorite. Not to be missed. Excellent calzones, pizza, and I typically order the daily seafood special. .

**** French Quarter – Will reopen approximately January 15, 2006. Av. 5 between Adolpho Rosada Salas and Calle 3 Open 7 days a week for dinner only Great atmosphere. Steaks, seafood, Cajun style dishes. Orleans chicken and the pork tenderloin are my favorites here. .

***** Mesa 17 - www.mesa17.com Closed.

*****La Cocay – A true culinary delight in a warm elegant setting. Calle 8 between Av. 10 & Av. 15
Here is my official review  http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1192416#post1192416 Napa Salad, Pork Tenderloin, Pepper Crusted Sashimi Tuna, and Filet Mignon, Calamari rings sautéed in basil and garlic, Duck spring rolls with tropical corn, tomato, and mango salsa, Garlic Shrimp Tapas, Tequila Sautéed Shrimp with Roasted Nopal and chile de arbol, Plantain Crusted Fish with Honey Glaze and Cilantro Rice and lightly steamed veggies. Hungry yet???

***Especias – Will reopen approximately January 15, 2006 in a new location. Calle 3 between Av. 5 & Av. 10. Open Monday through Saturday for dinner only. Adrian is one of the best hosts on the island. This is a fusion of Mexican/Argentenian and exotic flavors. My favorites are the cilantro fish or chicken, or Shrimp Zambal.

**Casa Denis – in the main square. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One of the oldest restaurants in Cozumel. Shrimp fajitas or Enchiladas suizas.

*Coco’s – Av. 5 between 1st and Rosada Salas…just inside the south end of the square. Open for breakfast Tuesday through Sunday from 6:00 to 12:00. Closed September and October. Terri makes the best coffee on the island! My favorites are the taquitos, the Super Tacos, and the eggs Mexicana…really everything is GREAT!

**Rock-n-Java – Located on the waterfront just south of Punta Langosta mall (Carlos & Charlies). Open Monday through Sunday 7:00am until 10:00pm, close at 2:00 on Saturdays. GREAT spot for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Everything from eggs and bacon to gourmet pastas and vegetarian specialties. In my opinion, Lisa makes the very best Veggie burgers on the planet, even for the non-vegetarian!! Try the homemade breads and deserts too!

**La Mission ON 30th!! – NOT to be mistaken with La Mission downtown or Casa Mission – located on Av. 30 between Calle 2 and Calle 4, just north of the Super San Francisco grocery store. Open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. True local and traditional Mexican food at a budget everyone can afford! My favorite is the Mexican combo plate!

Christi, I am confused. I thought that La Cocay was superseded by Mesa 17, i.e., that Mesa 17 was La Cocay under a new name. Is La Cocay still there?

ggunn:
Christi, I am confused. I thought that La Cocay was superseded by Mesa 17, i.e., that Mesa 17 was La Cocay under a new name. Is La Cocay still there?

La Cocay was in the Mesa 17 location a few years ago. They closed for almost two years to build their new place. They reopened back in April or May (can't remember) in their new location.

Christi:
La Cocay was in the Mesa 17 location a few years ago. They closed for almost two years to build their new place. They reopened back in April or May (can't remember) in their new location.
And then Mesa opened in La Cocay's old location and had the same troubles with the owner, which contributed to their decision to not reopen. Booooo on the building owner.

Can I add La Candela? We found this place to be very good and very affordable (food & coffee/coke for the two of us $8 u.s.).

Where is La Candela, we will be down in Cozumel on the 7 of January and would like to try some new resturants. :14:

La Candela is on the corner of Calle 6 and 5 Avenida. They are open for breakfast and lunch only (so far) and offer a great selection of daily choices for very little money. I had breakfast there yesterday (I kid you not) and had 3 yummy fluffy pancakes, a side of bacon and a large tumbler of fresh watermelon juice (throw watermelon chunks in a blender with a little water, blend, strain) for 42 pesos. Lunches are portioned very generously for about the same price.

Add it to the list...

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

Coz Sally:
La Candela is on the corner of Calle 6 and 5 Avenida. They are open for breakfast and lunch only (so far) and offer a great selection of daily choices for very little money. I had breakfast there yesterday (I kid you not) and had 3 yummy fluffy pancakes, a side of bacon and a large tumbler of fresh watermelon juice (throw watermelon chunks in a blender with a little water, blend, strain) for 42 pesos. Lunches are portioned very generously for about the same price.

Add it to the list...

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

Absolutely add La Candela! It's new enough that I forgot about it...but yes, very good and very economical! Thanks Sally!

Hi Christi!

I just wanted to let you know that I have followed your advice regarding restaurants and destista Alejandra- your information has proved invaluable! When at Alejandra´s I wanted to pop my head into your office and say hi, but the big metal door was down! A fixed up a botched root canal job for me and I´m amazed by the results! No pain for the first time in several years! K MILAGRO!

Of your restaurant recommendations I tried, and was delighted with, La Choza (my fave!) Chilangos, and Las Seras. However, I was taken aback by Camillo´s, has it possibly changed hands recently? It was more expensive than a one star, which was no big deal, but the service was incredibly rude! We were the only customers, yet the waiter could barely drag himself away from his converation with the rest of the idle staff to wait on us, got really irritated when we asked what was in the Camillio´s soup, and slammed our food and drinks on the table. Maybe his attitude contaminated our tastebuds, but the food seemed really mediocre, easily the worst we´ve had in this cuidad of many delicious choices.

All the locals here have been so sweet and helpful that this experience really took us by suprise! Maybe we just caught them on a bad night, but I wanted to tell you about it because all your other recommendations were fabulous!

Just wanted to add that I stopped by French Quarter yesterday and chatted with the head chef. They anticipate re-opening in about 2 weeks, which would put it around January 25th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom