Can Anyone Compare Isla Mujeres/Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is the diving as good on Isla Mujeres? We're going back to Coz late this October (praying for a mild hurricane season), and I've always wondered about the other islands. We really love Cozumel for the diving, the food, and the friendly people. I wonder how Isla Mujeres compares in those areas, and I wonder about the lodging. Our favorite place to stay on Coz WAS Plaza Las Glorias before the Palace Resorts took over, so I wonder if there are any places similar to the old PLG.

I haven't been to Isla Mujeres in about 6 years and I know it has gotten more built up since then. The diving is not like Cozumel. If you've done any diving around Akumal, it's closer to that. In the early and mid 90's the reefs were nice but again, no idea what they are like now.

There are a couple new, modern, expensive hotels on the island but there are many moderate accommodations and lots of choices under $100/night. There was always a good variety of good restaurants and bars, and I can't remember ever having a bad meal over the many trips I made there.

The island is small and it's popular for day trips from Cancun, the Cancun party boats and evening booze cruises. We used to stay in the Sac Bajo area which was mid-island. By about 4pm the daytrippers head out and the evenings in town were always fun with just people staying on the island and locals.

Here are a couple good sites for more current info on Isla Mujeres

http://www.isla-mujeres.net/home.htm
http://www.isladiveguide.com/home.htm

Diving Isla Mujeres is like diving Cancun. Not much to see.
Cozumel for diving.

Back
Top Bottom