Coz in July/ Flying into Cancun??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, first trip to Cozumel. Couldn't find a single direct flight from San Diego, go figure right on the border, direct flight from L.A. took 20 hours to get there. So, flying into Cancun via Pheonix for just a 6 hour flight.

How difficult is it to get to Cozumel, I know take the ferry, but I saw a previous post where someone said it took hours!!

Please tell me this will be painless, my roommate was not happy about having to do it.

Kim

Did this same trip last August with a 5 year old total 5 people. I arranged a private van to pick us up in Cancun, Cancun Valet, on time and very professional. They even stopped for beer on the way. Dropped on at Playa Del Carmen to catch the ferry. The trip from Airport to Playa was about 50 minutes. Walked through the shopping area toward the pier, purchased our tickets for the ferry and then waited at Senor Frogs for the next ferry. Ferry trip was really kind of fun. We went early evening and were on the water for sunset. Ferry trip took about 45 min. I live in Anaheim and I would rather do this that fly to Denver, Dallas, or Chicago to make it to Coz.

Other than some logistics that are best prearranged, the only pain was rolling the dive bag and all the luggage from the van to the ferry. The shopping area is cobblestone so rolling wasn't as easy as it could have been on pavement.

You can catch the Riviera/Ado bus at the east end of the airport terminal 2. It was $7 in Jan. but someone said it 's up to 10 now. Look for the ticket booth just before you exit the airport building. If you don't see it go outside and you will see guys with red shirts on that say Ado. If you have many heavy bags there are plenty of porters to help for about $1 a bag. The bus is about 200 yards to your right as you exit. Or hire a taxi, van, private shuttle. they will run 30-40 per. They all drop you off at the same corner as the bus in Playa Del Carmen. Takes about an hour, bus leaves every hour at 15min till.

From the bus terminal it's a short 2 blocks to the pier over cobble stone. Porters again on the corner to carry your bags to the pier. 2 companies run ferries look for the depart time posted and buy from the one that goes next. They use to both go every hour on the hour but now some boats are used for cruise ship shuttles so they may not both go every hour. Boat trip is 40 min.

Not a bad trip the highway is modern the bus is a a air conditioned modern tour bus with captains chair seating. Taxis are usually small cars cramped for 4 passengers. Most vans are 12-15 passenger and they pack you in. Pre arranged shuttles may have more room but costly. If you get out of the airport at half past the hour the bus is the best. If you miss the bus by a few min you can make a deal outside the terminal for a van instead of waiting an hour. There are 100 guys out there that will get you on your way. Don't buy a trip inside the terminal unless it's for the bus. the guys inside charge 30-50% more.

Nice link. Thanks much. Having to do this trip again in Dec.- and won't use the same outfit we booked with through Orbitz last time.
Maritur left us at the Coz side of the ferry. The local guy who met us said he didn't have a vehicle, and said if we'd pay for our own taxi, he'd reimburse us. Yea, right.
Following that, our folks (on a later flight) had nobody from Maritur waiting... so they paid through the nose for a taxi.
We eventually gave Maritur a taste of their own medicine... by not handing over the vouchers... so they never got paid.

El Cantil/BXTS Dec. '06!

divekim:
Okay, first trip to Cozumel. Couldn't find a single direct flight from San Diego, go figure right on the border, direct flight from L.A. took 20 hours to get there. So, flying into Cancun via Pheonix for just a 6 hour flight.

How difficult is it to get to Cozumel, I know take the ferry, but I saw a previous post where someone said it took hours!!

Please tell me this will be painless, my roommate was not happy about having to do it.

Kim

Can't you fly from SD to Mexico city and then Cozumel?

We did the Cancun to Playa route in April because of the significant difference in air fare--about $300 per person more to fly to Cozumel.

We had a party of six and pre-booked a private van with DITA for $132 round trip--$22 per person. The driver was there upon our arrival at the airport with a card with my name on it and, again, for our return to Cancun near the bus terminal.

The van was new, clean and comfortable. Their web address is http://www.getdita.com .
I certainly recommend them.

Good luck with your trip.

jpdunc:
We did the Cancun to Playa route in April because of the significant difference in air fare--about $300 per person more to fly to Cozumel.

We had a party of six and pre-booked a private van with DITA for $132 round trip--$22 per person. The driver was there upon our arrival at the airport with a card with my name on it and, again, for our return to Cancun near the bus terminal.

The van was new, clean and comfortable. Their web address is http://www.getdita.com .
I certainly recommend them.

Good luck with your trip.

I can second the recommendation for DITA. We've been using them for about 5 yrs for transfers to/from Cancun-Akumal, and twice from Cancun-PDC to head to the ferry. A couple years ago half our group got delayed a day due to a snow storm and DITA met their flight the next day and did not even charge us for the extra one-way trip.

Wow, you guys are too awesome, now I have choices. Love the pics thank you so much.

I am so glad I found this site!!

Im booked from August 1 throu 8th, my travel agent toldme to go from Miami to Cancun instead of directly to Cozumel. it would save me about $300. Ive been to Cancun before but didnt know how easy it would be to make it to Coz, well its good to know that its not a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom