Thimble jellies & sea lice at the end of this month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know if they will still be an issue last of May/first week of June. I haven't been to Cozumel during this time so I'm not sure how long they last.

I was in Coz the last week of April, and after reading about these little buggers I was quite worried. I did see 'em, and went thru a few little cluster of them, but they didn't bother me at all! The most I ever felt was a wee little momentary zap on the wrist. One woman diving with us did have a reaction to them, they left a welty rash on her, but no one else was bothered at all by them.

I got a kick out of how much they do look like swimming thimbles!

Pamela

I tend to get "stung" in the Caribbean in Feb-Mar, even before the season actually starts. It feels like little pins on my face, neck and hands and leaves the most attractive, itchy, red bumpy rash. Last year we had our last day as the thimbles were just coming in. I have never actually been anywhere while they are in full-force.

Unfortunately, I can't use Sea Safe. It's given me a rash almost as attractive as the stings. So, with 9 days to go I'm getting a little worried. Probably for nothing.

Was there last week (5/6-13) and never opened the bottle of sea-safe... I didn't even see any all week, although one diver had some stings on her neck from a night dive.

I was in Coz the week of April 22. Of 17 dives, only once did I see any thimbles, and it was during an ascent.

A few people mentioned a tingling/mild stinging feeling after some dives, but no one complained as if it were an issue.

i was there last May 11th - 15th. dove with boardshorts. didn't get stung by any jellies. only saw a few when i was doing my safety stop at one of the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom