Need a Cozumel update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dynasty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm wanting to go back to cozumel this summer for a dive trip. The only thing that I'm concerned about is whether or not the reefs are in good shape. I have been told by several people that the reefs are still a mess from last years hurricanes. I was in cancun at the time emily hit, and I can understand if the reefs are still messed up. Also is there anything else I should know? Thanks

Dynasty:
I'm wanting to go back to cozumel this summer for a dive trip. The only thing that I'm concerned about is whether or not the reefs are in good shape. I have been told by several people that the reefs are still a mess from last years hurricanes. I was in cancun at the time emily hit, and I can understand if the reefs are still messed up. Also is there anything else I should know? Thanks

Do a search on Cozumel and you will find hundreds, maybe thousands of replies to this. It is a very popular destination.....We were there in May and diving was excellent. Have fun, dive often....:D

We just got back on Saturday. As 'stangscuba' said, there are at least hundreds of replies to this question in other threads. In short, the diving was great. The visibility was 60 to 100 ft + every day. The water temp varied from 80 to 84 degrees. The sea life is abundant. There is a tremendous amount of small stuff (juveniles of all sorts, blennies, pipefish, gobies, etc), and a good amount of bigger fish. We saw some big groupers (maybe not as many as pre-Wilma, but who's counting?), two of the biggest nurse sharks that I've ever seen (at Maracaibo - one @9 ft, and its companion @7 ft; my estimations confirmed by a very excited DM), several big turtles, a white tip reef shark, huge angel fish, lots of filefish and trigger fish, several very big honeycomb cowfish, many trunkfish, a big stoplight parrot fish, rays, several octopus, lots of lobsters that were at least 5 to 6 pounders, 5 king crabs (including one monster out on the sand during a night dive), hermit crabs, spotted eels, scorpion fish, barracuda, flounder (including one baby peacock about 2 inches long). I could go on and on, but I hope you get the point. The only things I didn't see all week are a Splendid Toad Fish, and a Seahorse, but that's all the reason I need to go back again in February!

The hurricane did do damage to the "hardscape." Most of the soft corals and fans, especially at the shallow reefs, were decimated. What added an interesting dimension to my diving was the way in which Mother Nature recovers from this type of destruction. There are lots of new fans and other soft life beginning to grow back. The damaged coral will take more years than I have left to fully recoup, but I could see evidence of new growth all over. Most of the brain corals looked fine to me, and I saw one beautiful specimen that was about 3 feet across. It appears that there are smaller colonies of Christmas tree worms, but they will expand over time. There is bleaching of the coral, but a lot of it is caused by other environmental conditions, and not the hurricane. There is a lot of sand on the coral in the shallow spots, but less than when we were there in February. We saw large piles of broken branch corals, but some of the small stuff has already taken up residence in these new-found "environments." I don't know for sure, but it looks like there's a blight/fungus of some sort on much of the coral that is doing more damage than the sand. There is still a nice amount of color, and healthier coral at the deeper reefs. Personally, I could spend a week poking around in 45 foot water at Paradise Reef, and not get bored; even though there is a lot of sand on the coral. I just waved my hand or fin here-and-there to help Ma' Nature clean it off. Oh yeah, there are some great new swim-throughs, and we also dove the C-53 wreck, where a very large spotted eel has taken up residence near the propeller shaft.

So, if you want picture perfect reefs patrolled by schools of giant reef sharks and Manta Rays, go buy a painting (www.guyharvey.com). For some fantastic diving, in a laid-back place that has great restaurants and friendly people, get on a plane to Cozumel!

Hi again. I only had a camera with me on two dives, mainly because we were working on our AOW certification. The few shots I did take are not terrific, and need some Photoshop work before I can post them. The night dive was our first, so I didn't want to task load by bringing the camera; but, in retrospect, I wish I had. It was incredible!

On the last day, I decided that I need more drift diving experience before I worry about taking pictures in Cozumel. I really have my bouyancy dialed in, but seem to blow it when I stop to take a photo. Especially because there was so much to photograph that I lost track of where I was. Jay, another SB'er posted some great shots from his trip in May. Here's the link:
http://www.bluextseadiving.com/gallery/?album=Jay_Pomerantz It's a link to the Blue XT~Sea gallery, so most of the photos were taken in Cozumel.

I'll try to work on my trip report this weekend, but it may be difficult. It's boating season here in the NE, and everything else is put on hold for 5 months. :D

Several of us have just returned and have posed dive reports, 90%+ agree that the diving is still very good.

generally, the shallower you go the more changes to the reef you see, mostly sand deposits, broken finger and lettuce coral. On the very shallow reefs where you are used to seeing seafans, there are very few, but the ones that have made it are working hard at coming back and are supporting a good number of flamingo tongues. we even saw some very small seafans getting started.

the soft corals and sponges are on a really good comeback, you see lots of "sprigs" of black coral, at all depths.

the sealife is abundant, we saw more baracuda on one dive then I have every seen on a single dive. Tons of grouper, angels, yellow sting rays & eels, all kinds of eels. We saw nurse sharks, eagle rays, stingrays, lobster, arrowcrabs and I don't know if I'm just more awair of them or not, but I saw lots of blennies.

San Miguel is almost back to normal, other than the trees and Naval Station still need some help. almost all the restaurants are open, we certainly didn't miss any meals while we were there.

With tourism down and the cruise ship triffic WAY down, now is the perfect time to go. The simple answer is "yes", go to Coz, dive and enjoy.

sharky60:
Several of us have just returned and have posed dive reports, 90%+ agree that the diving is still very good.

generally, the shallower you go the more changes to the reef you see, mostly sand deposits, broken finger and lettuce coral. On the very shallow reefs where you are used to seeing seafans, there are very few, but the ones that have made it are working hard at coming back and are supporting a good number of flamingo tongues. we even saw some very small seafans getting started.

the soft corals and sponges are on a really good comeback, you see lots of "sprigs" of black coral, at all depths.

the sealife is abundant, we saw more baracuda on one dive then I have every seen on a single dive. Tons of grouper, angels, yellow sting rays & eels, all kinds of eels. We saw nurse sharks, eagle rays, stingrays, lobster, arrowcrabs and I don't know if I'm just more awair of them or not, but I saw lots of blennies.

San Miguel is almost back to normal, other than the trees and Naval Station still need some help. almost all the restaurants are open, we certainly didn't miss any meals while we were there.

With tourism down and the cruise ship triffic WAY down, now is the perfect time to go. The simple answer is "yes", go to Coz, dive and enjoy.

We just got back yesterday. Ditto on what Sharky said. I actually think the sand deposits add a new prospective to the reefs. It kind of reminded me of a first show fall. This was my first trip back to Coz in several years and I was very pleased with the diving.

I just got back on the 22nd and I have to say I was overall disappointed with the reefs. Still great diving but most of the color is gone as the reefs are covered in sand. Of ten or twelve dives, the Santa Rosa wall seemed to be the least affected. You will still have a good time but don't expect it to be the way you remember.

Back
Top Bottom