Playa Azul Hotel - Dive hotel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BellesMom

Registered
Reaction score
Would you all consider this a place for divers to stay being so far north? Considering a quick trip down over New Years. Thanks for any input.

BellesMom:
Would you all consider this a place for divers to stay being so far north? Considering a quick trip down over New Years. Thanks for any input.

You'll probably have to cab it into town to catch the dive boat.

BellesMom:
There are a few ops that will probably pick you up there but which ones I don't know. Ocean Tours and Scuba Du maybe? Pepe? I was certified by Scuba Du, they run a nice conservative operation, one of the highest rated on the island.

It's a fabulous place, I took a tour of it 2 months ago (scoping places for my wedding), if it were South of town I would definitely stay there... it really is gorgeous and I can't stress that enough. I think it has about 50 rooms so it won't get too crowded even if full.

Playa Azul beach club is next door which is nice since it is a real beach. None of the near town southern hotels have a beach that slopes into the water except for The Presidente (closed at the moment but supposedly will be open by New Years). Also, being North of town you won't have to see or deal with the cruise ships.

If you can find a dive op to your liking that will pick you up there or, if you don't mind taking a taxi or renting a car, I say go for it!

Another option (at least for me) would be Casa Mexicana which is in town but no beach or pool to speak of. Also a really nice place. My Coz 02/06 trip report below goes into more details about the hotel.

Not really, more of a golfers/fishermen's place although I have stayed there. Needed to cab into town as it's a brisk 25 minute walk otherwise. That said, it's a very nice spot. Locally owned (so you aren't sending your money to Italy). No music by the pool. Nice snorkelling beach in front. I liked it. (BTW Jeff, I saw more than one wedding ceremony performed on the beach, one in a norte).

Marg

BellesMom:

MMM:
(BTW Jeff, I saw more than one wedding ceremony performed on the beach, one in a norte).
Ouch! Let's hope no Nortes (or worse) in July!

Playa Azul was a close second but we decided on staying at El Cantil and getting married in the wedding garden at Mr. Sancho's... :sappy:

Yikes, less than 3 weeks away! :11:

Moodiejeff:
Ouch! Let's hope no Nortes (or worse) in July!

Playa Azul was a close second but we decided on staying at El Cantil and getting married in the wedding garden at Mr. Sancho's... :sappy:

Yikes, less than 3 weeks away! :11:

Well, we had a norte in May, the first during that time of year I have ever experienced. We went up to Especias and stuff was blowing off the table!

Good luck, best wishes, and all that!

ggunn:
Well, we had a norte in May, the first during that time of year I have ever experienced. We went up to Especias and stuff was blowing off the table!

Good luck, best wishes, and all that!
Yeah, one came through as we were coming up from a night dive when we were there in May too... we went to Chi to eat and had to eat inside. Too bad as they have a nice view over the water. Luckily it was gone by morning.

Thanks for the luck and wishes and all that :14:

BellesMom:

We will be staying there in February so I am interested in the answers that you get. I did look at their website and they have the dive op Pro Dive Mexico as their in-house op. have fun, choco

Moodiejeff:
Yeah, one came through as we were coming up from a night dive when we were there in May too... we went to Chi to eat and had to eat inside. Too bad as they have a nice view over the water. Luckily it was gone by morning.

Thanks for the luck and wishes and all that :14:

Were we there at the same time? We were there May 6-20, and the norte came in the middle of our second week. It lasted a couple of days.

ggunn:
Were we there at the same time? We were there May 6-20, and the norte came in the middle of our second week. It lasted a couple of days.
No, we were there May 22-26 and the "norte" was only an overnighter.

It was a last minute trip, we booked it only 2-3 weeks in advance. With all the SBers that were there in May, I think the only one we got to meet was Sue Sue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom