Cozumel Trip Report 6/4 -6/11 2010 with pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhayes75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I got up at 3 am and were out the door at 4 am headed to the airport. We arrived in Houston right on time and headed over for our 10 min journey to our connecting flight. We were offered 400.00 to take the 12:00 noon flight instead of our 8:50 flight to Cozumel. Although tempting, I opted out. We paid for this later. The rest of our journey had a few set backs. First we sat on the plane while they searched for someone’s bag for removal who decided not to get on the plane. Finally after an hour we were on our way. Well we thought we were on our way. While taxiing to the runway our steering system locked up and when the captain stated that maintenance had to retrieve a manual , I knew were going to be here a while. After two more hours we finally were in the air. We arrived at 12:57 pm and it took about 30 min to get through customs. I was awarded the green light and quickly bypassed the timeshare winches. Some were not so lucky. My first stop that afternoon after unpacking was straight to the bar. I decided that I was too exhausted and opted out of shore diving today. To top things off our A/C was broken and made for a miserable nights sleep. I could of went and asked to be moved to another room, but I was too lazy and just dealt with it. We also like this room for it has a good view and spacey.

6/5/2010

Was already up from the day before, gathered my gear and headed down for breakfast. My wife’s only chore today was to get our A/C fixed. The Anna Maria III was right on time 7:20 am and we were on our way. We were short one from our group due to Delta loosing my buddies dive gear. He did wind up getting it back later this evening. Our first dive was on Palancar Bricks. The dive lasted 52 min to a max depth of 78fsw and 82*. Our second dive was on the Yocab. The dive lasted 58 min to a max depth of 55fsw and 82*. I ended both dives with 600 PSI with a starting pressure of 2800. We captured 2 lionfish today on one dive. You really can’t ignore this threat. These things spawn every 3 days and lay thousands of eggs. Their only predator is us. Our DM has captured over 300 already. I have video of the capture and will post later in this thread.

Today was a great day of diving and it was good to here that our A/C had been fixed upon our return to shore. After taking my wife around for some sightseeing and shopping we went to the bakery and purchased a bag full of a variety of pastries. The next thing I did was take her snorkeling around our hotel. My wife fears water and my goal this trip is to get rid her of it. I worked with her near the shore until she felt confident that she could float without a wetsuit and before she knew it, we were a 100 yards offshore. She was distracted by the beauty beneath the sea. One more day on this site for practice and then I will take her to other sites. We finished off the night with beer, cocktails and a delicious meal. I think we both passed out the moment our heads hit the pillow.:D

PICT0097-1.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

PICT0080.jpg

PICT0077.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0019b.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0097.jpg

Nice. Very nice.

Did you kill the damned lionfish?

Thanks for the report. Nice photos. Keep us all updated when you can. Where are you staying and who are you diving with if I may ask? My wife will be coming with me in October, but she only snorkels (with assistance), so I will need to find some good snorkeling places.

Thanks for the report and Pics Jason! It does a bit to help with my inability to dive for the next two weeks. I'm also glad you are getting your wife interested in the underwater world. Hopefully your week will be filled with perfect days and perfect dives.

-ap

Given the time of pickup and the name of the boat, i believe he is diving w/ DWM. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the report.:D

Nice pics.

Thanks for the report. I am counting the hours until we head there on the 10th.

Thanks for the report Jason! Can't wait to have your wife as a dive buddy! Think that will happen? :p

Nice. Very nice.

Did you kill the damned lionfish?

Yes we did, 3 more today.

Thanks for the report. Nice photos. Keep us all updated when you can. Where are you staying and who are you diving with if I may ask? My wife will be coming with me in October, but she only snorkels (with assistance), so I will need to find some good snorkeling places.

Casa del Mar, and Dive with Martin. Best places to snorkel are Zhul ha and Corona beach. I will be heading there soon, maybe tomorow.

Thanks for the dive pix. I'm in withdrawals for 14 more days till we touch down on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom