tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my last trip I triped $10 for a 2 tank dive. Think out of 6 -8 people only 1/2 tipped. Although 1 DM wasn't worth a tip I think it also gets split with the boat captain. So I always will tip.

I usually leave a 20 for the crew everyday. If I'm there for a week or more, I'll also leave a small dive item as a gift to my favorite DM or crew member. I'm also in the habit of leaving a 5 in the room everyday for the cleaning lady. One trip I found out the lady and her daughter, that were cleaning my room, only make what the guests leave. What goes around, comes around. I've pretty much made the lions share of my wages the last eight years off the kindness of strangers, as the saying goes.

I've heard about "$5 per tank" ever since I was certified 10 years ago. How about we consider going to $6 per tank? :wink:

$5/Tank is what I have tipped for years

This year I upped the tip rate to 15us per 2 tanks. If I use pesos it's 200pesos. I am more inclined to always tip with pesos as I'm Canadian and it's just easier for me. I also like dealing in their money while in their country.

You also need to distinguish between tips where you take care of your own gear and those where they setup, tear down and clean your gear for you. If they're also taking care of your gear all week then I think they should get $7-8 bucks per tank minimum. I usually go $200 pesos for a two tank dive and then a little extra at the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom