Carnival Cruise Cozumel May 26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ttriton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Will be in Cozumel May 26, on a Carnival cruise. Thinking about getting some diving in, but I'm the only diver in my group. Any other SB's on this Cruise? Carnival out of Galveston Tx, leaves May 24.

Trying to decide if it's worth bringing my own gear, partial gear or using rental. Just a 2 tank dive. I'm assuming my reg setup would likely not fit a rental BC. I use Scuba Pro with an air2. This will be my first cruise, but I've been to Coz before. Any tips & suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The wife and I dive in Coz off the cruise ship a couple times a year. We always take our own gear, but most of the other divers seem to use rental gear. The rental gear looks like hammered dog crap, but we haven't seen anyone die...yet.

Yea I like to use my own gear. For sure I would bring my own mask, computer & fins. Do you use the cruise ship op (sand dollar) or do you schedule your op?

i suggest if you are comfortable with your gear, bring it or if you don't want carry all, you can rental the bcd, reg and wetsuit, here and about you say that you are the only one diver in your group and you want stay together i can suggest you go to palancar beach and there everyday is one boat and one instructor there, ready to take divers to the reef and the rest of your group can stay in the beach waiting for you and get fun too. or if they like make snorkel trip there they can do., if you like more information you can send email to info@cozumeldivingandparasailing.com

My group is staying on the ship or going shopping. I'm interested in making a dive, haven't decided to use Carnival's dive op or make arrangements on my own.
Since I'm just a single diver, I might just go with Carnival's.

My wife and I routinely use private dive operators while cruising. We always take our own gear as well. We've used both Scuba with Alison and Chucho Divers and recommend them both. Both are popular dive operators and tend to fill up quickly, so you may be a bit out of luck this late in the game. I'd avoid using the cattle boats that any cruise line uses as their dive ops.

I took my first cruise earlier this year. It was Carnival, but out of Tampa. We stopped in Cozumel, but I am glad I didn't try to cram in diving as a shore excursion because the amount of time our ship spent in port was on the short side of what appears to be average. I learned to not just make sure I have enough time to do the shore excursion but enough time to feel comfortable and relaxed overall, as I am the type who despises being rushed. Carnival's shore excursion desk may be glad to sign you up for diving, but if you don't like the feeling of being rushed I suggest you do your own research and figure out how much time YOU feel you will need. My wife and I opted to only go snorkeling instead, and we still felt rushed. It wasn't so much a matter of risking being "left behind"--that's hugely unlikely--but rather a matter of not feeling we were being herded here and there like cattle. We were glad we did not sign up for a dive, even though diving was presented as a shore excursion option. We had been to Cozumel before for diving, and we will be back, but not on a cruise ship.

From what others have said (see this thread I started), different ships might spend different amounts of time in the same port, so you have to check for yourself and determine if you feel that is enough time to enjoy what you plan to do. Some ships apparently spend a generous amount of time in Cozumel.

If you decide to dive, and Cozumel is going to be your only dive, I suggest you rent all your gear. I can't imagine lugging dive gear in addition to all the crap I had to bring on that cruise. A cruise is not like a dive liveaboard, where all you need to bring in addition to your dive gear are swim suits, a pair of shorts and some t-shirts. All in all, I found cruising really wasn't my cup of tea.

Take your mask for sure, possibly a 3mil wetsuit, and lastly your computer or regulator. Yes the rental gear is a little beaten up, but i like was said above, didn't see anyone die using it. Personally worth the hassle of taking all of it, to then have to clean, dry, and store it the rest of the trip.

Back
Top Bottom