Kind of a Fundies report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It's taken me a long time to write up anything about my Fundies class, but with the evaluation dive quickly approaching, I found motivation.

Two years ago I met with Bob Sherwood for a day of private training. You can read my report here. Two years later I'm getting ready for my Fundies evaluation. In between, with no local GUE community to turn to for support, I got distracted and took other classes through other agencies. When I finally dove with some GUE trained divers (you know who you are, you awesome people!), I immediately returned to the idea that GUE was right for me.

I found one teammate by posting on SB and the other one, basically, by endless nagging. One was one state over, and the other one was local. I was, and continue to be, grateful to them for agreeing to take the class with me.

Local Buddy and I decided to squeeze in Primer before Fundies. We did Primer in April and Fundies the first week of July.

Our first two days in class went better than anyone expected. Our third day, we all had difficulties. No one said anything about selling their gear and giving up diving, but there were tears (mine) and cursing (me, again) and falling down on shore (yeah). On the fourth day we found a bit of redemption but not enough for anyone to pass. We all took provisionals.

On Friday, Local Buddy and I are going up to the river to do a little diving with Bob. We've been practicing but still have issues. There's no question that we're better divers now than we were a few months ago. I don't know what will happen on Friday, but I do know that I am even more committed to GUE training now than ever. Now, where's that pitcher of Kool-Aid?

Oh, I almost forgot to add that between my deciding to take Fundies and taking it, my dear husband decided to learn to dive! He's finishing up his GUE Rec 1 class this week.

Last edited:
Good luck and enjoy the day with Bob. Think of it as a "tune up", and if a pass comes out of it, that's the icing on the cake.

I went through the same thing, provisional and pass were 6 months apart and very rewarding. This was the first certification that I felt I actually earned, rather than just going through the motions and getting a card.

good luck!

I could easily use more practice before the evaluation, but in Upstate New York the water temps are dropping quickly. I just want to make sure I go into it with the right attitude. Good advice, Bluewater. Nimoh, well, it's far from being one of those classes that you get a card no matter what you do.

Good luck and have fun! I took six months to get my Rec Pass from Fundies. It took a lot of practice, which was fun in and of itself.

The best thing is that you have looked around and decided this is the path for you. After that, the rest is just getting out and doing it.

On three months to the day from our last day of Fundamentals, we met at Alexandria Bay on Friday morning. Luckily we got there a bit early, and I had time to take out my gear from Local Buddy's car and get organized. When Bob pulled in, I was already putting on my drysuit. We discussed what we would do and headed in.

We headed downriver while using different kicks. My kick of choice is the modified frog, and my least favorite is the flutter. I always like to do the more difficult things first, so we started with flutter and then moved on to modified flutter, frog, and modified frog. I got a bit lost not having been to the underwater tree before, but Bob and Local Buddy kept us on course. At the tree we did helicopter turns and drills.

After these drills we went back to The Islander, spotting a freshwater drum on the way, and shot the SMBs. When I started I somehow didn't attach the spool to the SMB and ended up dropping the SMB. Local Buddy quickly picked it up, and after that we each successfully shot the SMBs. We helped each other during this drill, and it was a great feeling to be helping and working together as a team, and it's a major accomplishment for us.

We talked quite a bit on the surface after we did a gas sharing ascent, and then we got out, packed up, and adjourned for video review at a local restaurant.

Between the end of Fundies and the evaluation dive I had been practicing ascents and descents and S-drills while trying to stay in trim. A week before the evaluation I was finally getting to where I could consistently hold a 10 foot stop. At the same time, Bob lowered my tanks, and trim became a bit easier. I spent over 300 dives with probably 45 degrees or worse trim, so it's been quite challenging to get it at or under 30 degrees. If I hadn't had these changes before the evaluation, I don't know if it would have gone as well as it did.

The video review showed us clearly what we still need to work on. We also found out that we had met the standards for a recreational pass, I'm happy to say.

In some ways it feels as though I am starting something new. Because of the knowledge and experience I've gained during and since Fundies, I feel like I am now more capable of adding more to my diving - more tasks, more team awareness, more communication. I'm very happy that I completed the class when it would have been easier to have given up, and I'm actually kind of proud of myself that I forced myself to live with the nerves and uncertainty when I could have just quit and said it was all a lot of nonsense. But I believe in the GUE philosophy, and I want to be the best and safest diver I can be. So giving up was not an option.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2013 at 10:02 AM ----------

Lynne, you are absolutely right! Jim, it's always wise to make food offerings to the gods!

Thanks for the report and congrats!

It was a pleasure to take the class with you (I was the out of state buddy). I wish that I had been able to complete the class with you two but alas life has gotten in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewis, it was a pleasure having you in class too, and I was very grateful to you for signing up when I had such a hard time finding a buddy for class. I'm sorry you couldn't finish up with us, but I understand about life and everything that it can throw in your way. Maybe you will find an opportunity before January.

Reactions: Tug
Regardless if I finish up the class, I'll certainly be giving you a call the next time I'm up there :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom