Headaches after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read a few threads about the build-up of co2 because of slow shallow breathing. I'm curious about ideas you all may have to help with this. I just got back from a 76minute dive. But as usual a few minutes out of the water and I've got a mild headache (nothing severe, just "annoying" and a bit tiring which usually lasts for several hours) My SAC was about .38 today - I've noticed it is gradually getting lower and lower (This was dive #35 - 10 dives ago my SAC was about .45) I am intentionally taking several deep cleansing breaths ever few minutes in the hopes that would help, but it didn't seem to make a difference. My dives rarely exceed 40ft and I follow the shoreline up to about 7 ft depth, so it's a very gradual ascent rate (5ft/minute or less) average depth is 24ft. Is there a way to fix this without causing my breathing rate to go up? Also would more cardio workouts during the week perhaps solve this for me? I'm not sure if excercise is directly related to co2 build up and expulsion or not (I know it "would" help with my breathing rate and overall dive experience, so no need to sell me on the value of excercise) If it makes a difference I try to breath in for a full count of 5-7, pause exhale for a count of 5-7, pause and repeat.

If you think there's another problem I should be looking at I'm open to suggestions. Again it's not a serious problem, just more of an annoyance.

Thanks Tim

kidspot:
I've read a few threads about the build-up of co2 because of slow shallow breathing.
From the breathing pattern you describe you may be building up some CO2 - I'd recommend trying to raise your SAC to .5 or so as a test, using deep breaths where you're counting 3-5 vice 5-7, and all but eliminate the pauses; see if that doesn't keep the headache away. If it does... you'll figure out just how low you can go on your SAC and still be headache free.
The other big headache maker is dehydration. 76 minutes on dry air will suck a lot of water out of you. Recommend you make sure you're very well hydrated before you dive, and rehydrate after the dive to see if that may help too.
Good luck.
S

Sphyrna:
From the breathing pattern you describe you may be building up some CO2 - I'd recommend trying to raise your SAC to .5 or so as a test, using deep breaths where you're counting 3-5 vice 5-7, and all but eliminate the pauses; see if that doesn't keep the headache away. If it does... you'll figure out just how low you can go on your SAC and still be headache free.

The other big headache maker is dehydration. 76 minutes on dry air will suck a lot of water out of you. Recommend you make sure you're very well hydrated before you dive, and rehydrate after the dive to see if that may help too.
Good luck.
S

Thanks - I had forgotten the whole "hydration" issue - I usually drink about 20oz of water an hour before a dive, but I may need to do a lot more over several hours.

Tim

Sphyrna:
The other big headache maker is dehydration. 76 minutes on dry air will suck a lot of water out of you. Recommend you make sure you're very well hydrated before you dive, and rehydrate after the dive to see if that may help too.Good luck.S

This sounds like some great advice. I regularly dive a local mud hole at the average depths you described, and with an AL100, it's easy to get 1 hour+ dives. I always try to make sure and drink lots of water before, as well as during our SI's, because I've had the same dull headaches. Staying hydrated seems to have stopped that for me.

Remember to fully exhale each breath, and try to even out your inhalation/exhalation rythm. Slow smooth counts in and out.

There is only so much concentrating on your breathing can do to your SAC rate. Experience and comfort will round the number out much quicker. Give it time.

Excercise and better conditioning will help your SAC, but excercise immediately before a dive will be detrimental.

Try another similar dive profile and breath like a pig - see if you have the same headache symptoms afterwards.

Scubaroo:
Try another similar dive profile and breath like a pig - see if you have the same headache symptoms afterwards.

LOL. This could work, and still not tell him what the exact problem is. If it's CO2 retention, it will fix that. If it's dehydration, it could fix that as well because breathing like a pig, there's no way he can have a 76 minute dive to get dehydrated.

Reversing that order would give me an idea of the source. So I'll drink LOTS of water during the next week and see what happens on my next dive. A friend and I are trying for a 2hr dive next week - so that will test the hydration theory. If it persists, then I'll breathe faster - I ended up with 1300psi today, so there's a little room to keep the dive length while increasing my breathing rate.

I sure hope it's a hydration issue...

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom