Building my very own 1 atmosphere suit at home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squirttle37

Registered
Reaction score
I have not had any dive certification yet and never dived. Only snorkeled. However, I am planning to create my very own 1 atmosphere diving suit based on the mini submeararine like human shaped things in the youtube video from 6:15-the end of the video Link:[video=youtube;IMy2qnwsDaU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMy2qnwsDaU[/video] . I know how the atmospheric diving suit works all except for one thing, the joints, which is my only knowledgeable challange. I could design and create steel parts that are connected yet human like by putting a ring seal in between the two parts seprating the parts and creating the rotary joints or flexible ball points. Anyone here who also has a lot of knowledge in machineary would be useful in explaining how these joints would work.

I have not had any dive certification yet and never dived. Only snorkeled. However, I am planning to create my very own 1 atmosphere diving suit based on the mini submeararine like human shaped things in the youtube video from 6:15-the end of the video Link:[video=youtube;IMy2qnwsDaU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMy2qnwsDaU[/video] . I know how the atmospheric diving suit works all except for one thing, the joints, which is my only knowledgeable challange. I could design and create steel parts that are connected yet human like by putting a ring seal in between the two parts seprating the parts and creating the rotary joints or flexible ball points. Anyone here who also has a lot of knowledge in machineary would be useful in explaining how these joints would work.

Try here: www.ifla.org/lsn

IDK if they'll tell you but :

Exosuit - Nuytco Research Ltd.
Newtsuit - Nuytco Research Ltd.

There's a little more info on how it's done here:

The core of the suit encases the diver’s torso and head. Rotary jointed arms and legs permit easy movement. The joints are machined from 6061-T aluminium stock and use silicon nitride bearings and PTFE seals. On some models, specially designed seals preserve joint integrity when pressure switches from being greater outside the suit to being greater inside or back the other way.
The Exosuit Diving Suit Stays Flexible Underwater | News content from Machine Design

Got a spare Million Dollars lying around...:D

that's hilarious

But seriously, it's rare that a successful project starts with:

1. Get idea from a cartoon
2. Ask strangers on the internet for help realizing cartoon idea
3. Build cartoon idea (preferably in an under equipped shed or basement)
4. test cartoon idea??

If you get manage to get to step 4, by all means let us know the test dive date - we'll be sure to check local papers for reports of your results.

WHY would you want to build your own 1 atmosphere suit? I don't get it. I was a guest on board a vessel contracted by the Navy to provide support for divers in one atmosphere suits and their minimum depth was 500 fsw with the suits rated to 2,000 fsw. Do you really plan any deep diving in it?

WHY would you want to build your own 1 atmosphere suit? I don't get it. I was a guest on board a vessel contracted by the Navy to provide support for divers in one atmosphere suits and their minimum depth was 500 fsw with the suits rated to 2,000 fsw. Do you really plan any deep diving in it?

I mean, what could possibly go wrong at 500' :D

I am planning to create my very own 1 atmosphere diving suit

Get video. The last time I read about a project like this some guy had built his own decompression chamber and during testing (I believe) the door flew off, destroying everything in the immediate area. IIRC they had to scrape his internal organs off the ceiling.

All this is to say.... start small. Build a dog sized one and test it on your pet first.

R..

You are not a diver inside a deep submersible or one atmosphere suit, you’re a pilot. Once you spend much time around these tools you figure out pretty quickly that it isn’t much more fun than piloting a ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle), and MUCH more expensive and dangerous.

I was as infatuated with deep submersibles as much as diving as an adolescent. That didn’t last much more than a few months once I started working around them. I was on the periphery of one atmosphere suit operations later in my career and quickly learned that they are just really small and limited deep submersibles.

I understand the motivation, but also understand the disappointment of the reality. You really have to discover what is motivating you. The ocean is a pretty boring place once you get out of the perceptible light penetration zone. You can see endless square miles of mud that is rarely interrupted by protruding rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom