ScubaPro 109 Poppet - here we go again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this has been much discussed but I still am looking for a little clarification. The 109 I think has been fully covered in these threads:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/375323-scubapro-mk-5-109-service-kits.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/328918-aftermarket-scubapro-seats.html

DA Aquamaster reported:
For users with the older or original poppets for the 109 and 156 with the molded on seat, they will either have to get newer poppets through Scubapro, or Bryan will have to make a new version of the old poppets or reverse engineer poppets similar to the modern ones (check out what Aqualung did with the poppet on the Legend - it looks almost identical to the old metal and plastic Scubpro balanced adjustabe poppet but done in one piece of black plastic.) In any case, he will encounter customers with both adjustable and balanced adjustable second stages and poppets of both old and new styles in each.

And Oceancurrent reported:
Upgrading the R109 to unbalanced G200 poppet or balanced G250 is a must since the original poppet set is hard to replace (unless Brian figures out some reproduction scheme).

So anyway, I ran into my LDS and he told me he needed a new seat for my 109. I thought, no problem, can get that through VDH. Well I went into the shop to make sure I had the whole story. Well it seems my reg falls into the catogory of the poppet with the molded seat. Knowing how hard it is to find a newer poppet I wanted to check you you guys on what newer poppet we should be looking for.

1. can you just replace the older poppet with a G200 or G250 poppet? or do you need additional parts?
2. Has Brian figured out a reproduction scheme?
3. Is it ONLY the 156 poppet that can be used?

As the reg as a whole has been discussed. I was hoping to keep this thread solely for the poppet replacement solutions.
Thank you.

Depends:
  • If you have an Adjustable (109) and want to keep it that way, use a Duro poppet, part #11-200-105 or #11-200-014 (including the seat)
  • If you have a Balanced Adjustable (156), use a S-wing poppet, part #11-250-220 or #11-250-015 (including the seat and the 2 tiny o-rings)
  • If you want to convert a 109 to 156, you need the S-wing poppet plus a balance chamber, part #11-150-102, and a spring, part #01-020-216

If you plan on keeping your 109 unbalanced, you will need to replace to old poppet with the integrated seat with a duro poppet (11-200-109) which takes a pretty common replaceable seat. This poppet is usually sold by Scubapro as a duro poppet assembly (11-200-014) which consists of the duro poppet and a LP seat. That duro poppet is occasionally included in the G200 service kit as they are plastic and may eventually wear out. The current G200/ADJ service kit (11-109-045) which come on 4x6 inch card includes the duro poppet and seat. Older kits from only a couple years ago may not.

Converting to a balanced adjustable requires a different S-wing poppet and seat plus other separate parts like a spring and balance chamber. Unless you have a reliable parts source, I suggest you leave it unbalanced. The LP seat for the duro poppet is available from a number of different sources and can even be home made.

Last edited:
that sounds like exactly what I need for the treasure hunt.
To keep additional chatter down I think we can find further discussion of converting and convertions issues here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/399499-i-need-109-seat.html
Thanks

If someone would like to post exactly where to find these parts for sale that would be great as well.

NOT a seat. You need a poppet assembly. They show up on ebay from time to time. Any Scubapro dealer can get them. Your LDS may be able to get one from a Scubapro dealer.

Thanks AWAP, That "I need a seat" was actually a link to another thread that I found that went into great detail about various subjects that ended up centered around change over to balanced. It was a good thread but didn't quite identify specifically the parts as you and Zung did here.
Thank you both.
BTW I did find on e bay a 11.109.045 kit for $40 with shipping. It sounded a little pricey to me. What's your take on that pricing.?

BTW I did find on e bay a 11.109.045 kit for $40 with shipping. It sounded a little pricey to me. What's your take on that pricing.?

Twice what I would consider a reasonable price. I would be thinking in terms of $12 for the poppet assembly and $20, tops, for the service kit. But I'm sure folks who want it badly enough will pay $40.

To give you a better idea of what we're talking about, here is a picture of an S-wing balanced poppet (top) and an unbalanced Duro poppet (bottom.)

2_poppets.jpg

Also, I don't remember anyone bringing up the "dreaded lever" issue. If you have the lever on the far right, you'll have to replace it with with one such as the lever on the left or middle. This is true for either the Duro poppet or S-wing poppet.

3_levers.jpg

Thank you, Now that I found a poppet, now it's a search for a lever......
as far as history I had an old rig of a 108 with a Air 2 (2 gen) when I happened on the 109 I thought what a great upgrade, to the old school 109/108. Now I know (and anyone reading) If you pick up a 109 you should be prepared to source a Duro poppet and upgraded lever......Let's try to keep this thread intact for future reference without going off track. thanks AWAP
Andy

They do not always require the lever upgrade. I have had some where a given old style lever would not work (could not set and hold adjustment) in one 109 but would work fine in another. I suggest you go ahead and install the new poppet and see what you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom