Dry Glove Lube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaloon45

Reaction score
New to this site, anyone know what lube you should use for o ring seals on dry glove systems? Brand name, where you can find other than at a dive shop?
Thanks.

The Exposure Suits forum will probably give you better info.

Welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

silicone grease - Mcnett sells some small tubes of it - wont need a big thing. Spit also works in a jam

Si-Tech specifically says NOT to lube the o-rings. They don't need it and if you drop them on the ground they will pickup dirt and sand ruining the seal.

My $.02.

Dav e

Scubaloon45:
New to this site, anyone know what lube you should use for o ring seals on dry glove systems? Brand name, where you can find other than at a dive shop?
Thanks.

I wouldn't lube them. Anything you put on that O-ring will just collect gunk. If you keep the rings clean they should go on and off without issue. If you have a stiff one then spit works to lubricate it for putting it on.

R..

I use spit as well, lube will not only pick up gunk, it can make them come off a little easier than you want them to. If you do get some air trapped in the glove underwater and the O-rings are lubed, the glove will pop off much easier.

akscubainst:
Si-Tech specifically says NOT to lube the o-rings. They don't need it and if you drop them on the ground they will pickup dirt and sand ruining the seal.

My $.02.

Dav e

They said that to me also, but I found that if they are not lubed a bit, they tend not to slide into place and leak. I've had a few floods before I started lubing them. Since I started lubing them, never a leak. I treat the o-rings like the o-rings on my camera housing. Just a light amount of grease just to make them shiny, and they slip into place easily. Picking up dirt is not an issue. I don't leave my gloves on the ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom