Another Fusion review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after reading fdog's review of the Fusion, I was intrigued. So Tuesday, I drove down to the closest shop in the region that is a White's dealer, and I had a look at the suit. It was a fascinating concept, and very comfortable to put on in the shop. They didn't have an Mk3 undergarment to fit me, but Amy (the proprietor) promised me that she would let me know when she did.

So yesterday, I went with Peter to our closest local shop, so he could return a weight belt he had used while DMing a class in the pool. Turns out White's would like them to become a dealer, and had been in and left a bunch of the suits and undergarments for Bud's staff to try. I told him I REALLY wanted to try the setup, and since he hadn't really gotten a lot of bites from his staff (and since Peter, who is more or less staff, wanted to try one too) he let me take one to dive today.

The short story: It's going to break my heart to take it back tomorrow.

The long story: I did two dives in it. It is by FAR and away the most comfortable I've ever been in a drysuit. All of us who dive dry know how painful it is to strap yourself into thick undergarments and restrictive suits, and then work to try to get the mobility you need to function underwater. You don't do any of that in this suit. Put on the undergarment and the socks, slip into the bag, pull the Lycra up and zip it, and at that point, you have the same mobility you would have in a 3 mil wetsuit. (Only I think it's lighter.)

I was worried about a few things: I was concerned that the Lycra would compress the suit so that I couldn't keep as much gas in it as I might want. This is not an issue. I did dial down the dump valve a couple of clicks, but I do that in my other suits, too. I wanted to see if I could work the bubble around and put the air where I wanted it, and that wasn't a problem. What was unexpected and very cool was that, having no excess fabric in my legs, I could tip head down without disturbing my buoyancy or my trim. And doing a valve drill was so utterly trivial, I was giggling as I reached the knobs.

I wasn't sure I'd be warm enough, in a bag suit with just one undergarment, and it definitely wasn't as warm as the compressed neoprene suit (but I didn't expect it to be). The first dive was a problem, because the little neoprene socks they provide are NOT enough for Puget Sound water. But the second dive, I put on a second layer of socks, and my feet were fine. The hood they provide is not enough for here, either, but that's easily dealt with. The undergarment was pretty darned warm.

I was concerned about the Lyra catching on stuff, so I more or less deliberately dropped my knee on a piling, and it didn't catch at all. Nor was there any visible mark in the fabric after the dive.

I don't dive a rock boot system normally, and the first dive, I underestimate how much you have to tension the laces to make sure the boot is solid underwater. Loose boots are NOT comfortable, but that wasn't the fault of the suit or the boot, it was just user error. The second dive, I fixed that, and the boots were fine.

But I just can't say enough about how COMFORTABLE this suit was. It took away about 3/4 of the stiff, heavy, confining feeling that makes me so sad to come back to cold water diving after a tropical trip. I honestly think that, if it weren't for the p-valve issues, if I owned this suit, I'd never bother to dive wet. The suit rolls up in a ball and weighs very little, so it would be very easy to pack.

This is a super concept that White's has come up with. I just need to decide whether it's worth waiting for the tech skin and pockets, or whether the X-shorts will do just as well . . .

Nice report! Thanks.

Yeah, when I saw one, I thought they looked comfortable, but like a rip waiting to happen. Sounds like you didn't find that to be true.

The pockets and P valve are a stopper for me. But with my new MK3, I might just possibly be warm in a thin suit like that.

Very tempting. I'd love to hear a review after 50 dives, and see how the suit holds up under normal (rough) wear.

Well, James posted an update after a month, and said it was holding up well.

I believe you could put a p-valve in it -- After all, the dump valve goes through the shell. Unfortunately, it's not a real option for ME.

Two questions

1. What are your normal drysuits (neoprene and shell) and do they fit properly.

2. How does the White's suit compare to a TLS350 for mobility?

Glad you had a good time with it.

Well, I rented a TLS 350 in LA when my suit blew the neck seal while I was down there. There is NO comparison between the comfort of diving that and diving the Fusion.

I own two suits. One is a Mobby's trilam, which fits me pretty well, although there's a fair amount of extra material in the legs. The other is a custom compressed neoprene suit, which fits very well, but the thickness of the material makes getting a really full range of motion when wearing thick undergarments a bit of a challenge.

I can reach my valves readily in the Mobby's, but I have to be careful donning the suit to make sure I keep working the fabric up so that all the slack is in the top of the suit. In the Fusion, I didn't even have to think about that.

(Both suits pass the GUE suit fit test.)

Hi TS&M,

What's this p-valve issue you mentioned (or, how is it different from any other suit)? Whites has two options available (both Si-Tech) but they couldn't tell me if they were balanced or unbalanced. They can also come factory-installed too (adding a 3-week lead time to shipping, IIRC). The valve head sticks out over the lycra just like the inflater/deflater valves.

I think their website says the suit is ~5lb total - super light.

Which undergarments did you try it with? I'm going with the Mk3s, based primarily on James' commendations.

Lynne,

I didn't realize Bud had a few for demo, or I would have recommended you see him. It was great meeting you though. Glad you loved the suit. Everyone that has purchased one so far has loved it.

I don't know he had suits for demo either, Amy. In fact, I didn't know he had the suits at all! I just happened to be in the shop and raving about having gone down and tried the suit at your place, and he said, "Oh, the White's rep left some for me to demo for my staff, but nobody's been very interested." People had apparently had trouble getting them on, but I'd had Dale show me how, so I showed Bud, and wheedled him into letting me try one.

Gombessa, my p-valve issue is that I'm female :)

I'm glad you liked your suit Lynne. I think everyone thinks I am being a salesman when I talk about the Fusion - not the case. When I first saw it - I was skeptical, but now after diving it for more than a year...I'm hooked, and I'll never go back.

As far as waiting for a tech skin with pockets.....My recommendation - don't wait. If you have X-shorts and really want pockets - get the Lycra skin, and use the X-shorts. Here's why:

When we do get the tech skins in (later this month) they will not be equipped with pockets (this will be a separate system), and when the Fusion is sold it will still be sold with the lycra skin. What does this mean? It means dealers will be able to buy the tech skin alone, or the dealer can purchase a Fusion with the Lycra skin and the tech skin as an additional item. So the long and the short....there is no point in waiting - you'll be no further ahead. I'm not trying to be a salesman here - just trying to be honest. I would hate to have you wait, and then find out you'll end up with both skins anyways.

That is my 2 cents for the day...thanks again Lynne.

Please do not hesitate to conatct me with any questions or concerns.

Until the next dive,
Tyler

I like the suit also, bought 2 in November after reading the reviews here in the board. I personally rather dive wearing cotton coverwalls but the temps of the upper Gulf of Mexico makes that a memory of the past.
Anyways, reading that using the Fussion was like using a 3mil wetsuit did it for me. The suit is great and just like other mentioned resists rips and puntures pretty good so far.

Now let's be very honest here. It is a dry suit and unless your current dry suit fits you wrong the Fussion is not that huge of a difference. No way no how resembles the freedom of a 3mil suit, unless again you have a very ill fitting 3mil wetsuit. Maybe i'm lucky that my other dry suits (Viking (expedition I think) and Zeagle) fit me very well, but I could only say that the Fussion is a lot more comfortable than a vulcanized dry suit (Viking red or the black Gates Pro-Am). Ofcourse any trilam drysuit is comfier than them.

Back
Top Bottom