what kind of wet suit should i get? :confused:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeanGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello people, im pretty new to this, just got my OW and AOW like a month ago, personally i dont plan on stop diving for a while even though the water in our country isn't the best in the world.

anyways. here's my case. i took my course in sharm al sheikh , the water temp was 28C which should be pretty fine for alot of people, unfortunately im not one of them.
according to my diving center over there. i was wearing 5mm shorty wetsuit with long sleeves and i was shivering under 6 meters. so i talked to my trainer. then he gave me 5mm long johns (trousers), so thats like 10 mm on my main body parts , and 5 mm on my sleeves. most of my diving centers dont provide us with wetsuits and most of them say "you'll be fine with 3 mm" sadly, i know myself. i can't take on cold weather or cold water. but buying a drysuit for just 24-28 water is a bit extereme, right? when i explained my situation to a friend of mine who's been diving for a while "currently taking technical diving" he said "just buy 5 mm suit"

so i dont know. i doubt i could return the suit if i buy it "customer service sucks in my country" i'll have to visit the retailers 1st but i wanna have a basic idea about what i should be getting, any brands? or specification that i should mention to the sellers?
a lot of people telling me also to get away from "thick" wetsuits , since they restrict my movement in water, but again i dont wanna be cold and call off a dive cuz im shivering. are there special suits that come like the 2 pieces i wore? like for example "7mm on the body" and "5mm sleeves?"
sorry for making this sucha long post. but its my 1st post here "had to put some passion in it" :p
thanx in advance
oh yeah. o forgot to mention that im back to the gym "i lost 10 kgs due to surgery and medication" but most likely im gonna get them back in couple of months, if i buy it now, and i get a bit fatter, would my suit be useless?

Each brand seems to market to a certain body type. O'Neil and Aqualung fit me the best. Try as many brands as you can till you find one that fits, no bag in the arm pits or groin. Get only the super stretch material, each brand has whatever they call it. Only go with a 5mm, add a 3mm hooded vest if still cold. The super stretch will still fit with up to 20 extra pounds, it just won't be a 5mm where it's stretched to the max. Rental suit was probably old and didn't fit well, on top of being a shorty.

yeah, thats what my diving center said "your suit would probably fit better than the rental ones"
just wanned to make sure that i wont regret buying a suit then feeling so cold. i'll probably pay the guys a visit tomorrow or after tomorrow and let you know :)

thanx

Buying a full suit that covers your whole body will be warmer than a shorty. I dive in those temperatures in a 5 mil suit with a two mil hooded vest. A hood will add a TON of warmth as well.

But two weeks ago in the Red Sea, I dove dry, and it rocked! (BTW, one of the dive guides on the boat was diving dry, too, so it's not completely unheard of.)

i c i c :) thanx for the information. most likely i'll get a hooded vest "depends on the cash" "shrugs"
i didn't know hooded vests existed :)

heheh, diving in a dry suit in the red sea :p i was surprised to read that =) but since you're not the only one i guess i shouldn't be ;P if i had the money i would've got myself a dry suit too and dived there with it =)

diving with a dry suit at 23-28c? doesnt it get too hot underwater? dunno, can't imagine. i probably wouldn't be able to try it out "lend me yours" :p

You should wear whatever it takes to make you comfortable. If that means diving dry in a hot tub, well, then dive dry in a hot tub.

I have been diving in a 8-6-5 wetsuit which has been OK for me down to about 50 degrees F water. I just got a drysuit and I'm not sure I'll ever dive wet again no matter what the water temp is.

I will suggest that you try taking a drysuit course and renting one. That way you can make up your mind yourself if it is the right thing for your situation or not.

hypertech , i definately will :) when i get some money , im planning to go for it =)
thanx advice

Back
Top Bottom