Easy Drysuit Don & Doff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I showed this trick to an old friend who skippers the Monterey Express last weekend. It was a big hit so I thought I would share it. Keep a small bucket of soapy water on deck for drysuit divers to dunk their sleeve seals in before inserting or removing their hands. Advantages are:

1. Wrists slide in and out easier than through sweatshirt sleeves
  2. The seals slide on straight and smooth, ready to dive — no folds, creases, or twists.
  3. Seals see far less strain and risk of damage

Try it in your diving locker (or garage), you will understand instantly. You can also use a spray bottle of soapy water (like freedivers use on their wetsuits) for diving off the shore, but a bucket is much easier on a boat. It works just as well on Neoprene, Latex, or Silicon seals. A few drops of any liquid soap in a 2-3 gallon bucket is fine, salt or fresh water. Just don’t use a detergent with additives that can attack Latex like some boat cleaning solutions contain.

I first learned it in Navy deep-sea/heavy gear training 40 years ago. Those suits are made of a very heavy rubberized canvass with thick vulcanized rubber sleeve seals. They are a major struggle to get on and off without lubrication.

I used their soapy water last Sunday to get into my Fourh Element 5 mm wet gloves. Still a PITA, but I hope that they'll stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a squirt bottle. Then you get the soapy water where you want it and it won't spill all over the deck creating a dangerous situation.

Use a squirt bottle. Then you get the soapy water where you want it and it won't spill all over the deck creating a dangerous situation.

Good point. A lot of boats have a bucket for dunking masks, which are secured. Same goes for one with soapy water. The squirt bottle isn't nearly as convenient, but works. The seas have to get pretty nasty before a secured 2 to 5 gallon bucket slops over with 6-8" of water in it.

I use water soluble lubricant (eg KY or other 'personal' lube). Works great, comes in an easy to use tube, and can even act as a conversation starter. I also use it on my neck to prevent abrasion.

Not just for donning, use it for doffing also.

I use water soluble lubricant (eg KY or other 'personal' lube). Works great, comes in an easy to use tube, and can even act as a conversation starter. I also use it on my neck to prevent abrasion.

Not just for donning, use it for doffing also.

Interesting...my neck still has scabbing from my dive 10 days ago & I've been wondering about some kind of lubricant. I suspect my skin is a bit more sensitive 'cause of my radiation treatment. My neck got pretty well cooked.

Interesting...my neck still has scabbing from my dive 10 days ago & I've been wondering about some kind of lubricant. I suspect my skin is a bit more sensitive 'cause of my radiation treatment. My neck got pretty well cooked.

:wink::wink: I'll share my tube next time we go diving :D

Severe abrasion --> scabbing --> shallow ulceration is what led me to using the lubricant. No problems since I started.

Would talcum powder work or is it messy when wet?

Would talcum powder work or is it messy when wet?

Yes it works. I don't like to use it on the neck seal - don't want to inhale any powder. Won't work for the doff, but does for the don. Overall messier than lubricant. I do use talcum powder inside my dry gloves so the liners slip in easily.

What works best for me. I put the sleeve on and put my hand up to the wrist seal. I take a small dab of lubricant and run it around the inside of the seal and then stretch the opening and work my hand through the seal. Repeat on the other side. Putting the neck seal on I stretch it wide and pop my head through. Then I take a dab of lubricant and run it around the inside of the neck seal. Keeps my neck from chafing.

To remove I just run a dab around the inside of the wrist seals and presto they come off without any effort. None is needed to remove the neck seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom