Need advice on entry level wetsuit for cold water snorkeling.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All :)

Not entirely sure I'm in the right place but this forum was at the top of the list every time I googled "Snorkeling forum"

I'm looking for an entry level wetsuit for cold water, (as low as 60f), I'll be using it both for snorkeling/gathering and open water swimming, I'd like to keep the cost under $200, preferably well under since I'll probably need a new suit next spring.

from my googling I "think" I need a full suit with a hood, 5/6 mm thick, and a weight belt for when I'm snorkeling, easy for a nOOb to put on alone.

could I get away with something lighter since I spend most of my time on top of the water where it's a bit warmer and I don't stay out more than an hour?

Any and all advice welcome, both on what sort of suit I need and the most economical way to get into one, I'm beginning to think this particular obsession is gonna eat up a lot of my money over the next 20 years or so :)

Stay Safe

Minno

I think you'll have a hard time finding a 6mm wetsuit, hood and weight belt for under $200 bucks unless you get it used from Ebay. The hood and belt shouldn't be a problem, the suit is going to be the most expensive part.
solution? Just dive tropical water :D

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If you're going to be relaxing and snorkeling....floating and looking around, AND doing open water swimming....free style? ....I think you're looking at two different wetsuits. Whatever thickness will keep you warm and toasty while relaxing and snorkeling will have you roasting if you're full on swimming.

Hi All :)

I like your solution David :) I'm headed in that direction, just getting in shape and then I'll look at scuba training and certification next spring. For now I need something that'll keep me at least not too uncomfortable for free diving and swimming, then next spring I'll spend as much as I need to once I have an idea of what I need.

Not sure I want to buy something my life may depend on off ebay

some food for thought there Hank :) I'm wondering if maybe I should be looking at a 3-4mm step in jacket and a heavier john.

or maybe I'd be better off with a light full suit with a hooded vest under it for colder water.

what suits are easiest to get into solo?

at the moment I'm looking at Bare and O'neill, are they any good? are there any other manufacturers that make suits in my price range that can be put on solo?

Stay Safe

minno

We get temperature variation here....which you would probably think is comical.....from 83F down to 77 or so. I use two different suits. I have a closed cell (neprene surface inside), 1.5 mm, two piece hooded suit. And an open cell (smooth skin inside) 3mm, same two piece, hooded with high farmer John pants.

In the "dead of winter" :D here, I use the full 3 mm. Spring and "fall", I'll use the 3mm top and 1.5 mm pants or vice versa. I also have a full one piece 1.5 with no hood for those really warm months....end of August into late Sept.

Wetsuits

Freediver Store has some good quality suits for reasonable prices. My son beats his up and it's very durable. If you don't like the camo designs, they make an all black "Ninja" one too. Great fit and strong seams. Durability is a real plus. I've worn out other suits in less than 120 hours of water time. Split seams, crushed neoprene...

lol, we get those kinds of variations too, of course the only time I find 83 is within a few feet of the beach on an exceptionally sunny day when the tides coming in, everywhere else it's MUCH closer to 52 :) .

those are nice looking suits, I think I'd want to get the red one, I wanna be seen, not so much by the folks on the beach as the folks driving the boats :)

freediver's site went down before I got to look around much, but ya got me googling free diving suits, the Toronto Freediving club sells a 5mm aqualand two piece custom made to ones measurements for $259 including shipping, be about $290 with tax, more than I wanted to spend, but much more suit than I was planning on as well.

are the open cell zipperless jackets as difficult to get in and out of as they look to be?

is it just me or do suit designers try to make their suits look like superhero costumes? :D

Stay Safe

minno

The open cell suits are easy to put on if you use hair conditioner, watered down a bit, as a lubricant. Taking them off.....just peel it up a bit and get your elbows under the edge. They come right off.
The red one isn't that red. Especially when you dive down about 30 feet. It disappears. But you gotta admit....camo is cool. :cool2: :D Chicks dig it.....haha.

lol, guess I better go with the ninja style, can't afford chicks and scuba at the same time :)

I decided to go with the custom two piece from Freedive Toronto, the freediver store suits look a lot nicer, but I try to avoid cross border shopping and the idea of my $$$ going to support a club appeals as well.

Thanx for taking the time to help out a nOOb Hank, much appreciated

Stay Safe

minno

lol, guess I better go with the ninja style, can't afford chicks and scuba at the same time :)

I decided to go with the custom two piece from Freedive Toronto, the freediver store suits look a lot nicer, but I try to avoid cross border shopping and the idea of my $$$ going to support a club appeals as well.

Thanx for taking the time to help out a nOOb Hank, much appreciated

Stay Safe

minno

No worries. That's what's cool about Scubaboard. Lot of good folks on here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom