Is this thread worthy? Split from: OW to Instructor in 23 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well I do not see this thread as being worthy of discussion; I think it should be closed if not removed.

The original post and title are misleading and inflamitory. The linked program is AOW - OWSI, not OW to OWSI. To enroll in the IDC, PADI require the candidate to be 18 years old, have been a certified diver for at least 6 months and have at least 60 logged dives.

The first SB Staff to post was pretty much goading on the ignorant PADI bashing masses, and I for one think he knew the linked Instructor Factory was not really producing PADI Instructors with only 23 days of diving;

TC:
I was wondering what people thought of course like this:

Ask yourself this question- would you allow someone you really cared for to be trained in Scuba diving by an instructor who had only been diving for 23 days?

Now some are discussing/defending the Commercial Diving Academy's evidently NAUI Recreational Instructor training program which supposedly can produce an Instructor in 30 days from someone who has never breathed off a regulator before???

The only way this makes any sense is if you look at the last four words of the Chairman of the Board's SB Profile Bio; Forty Fathom Grotto Guide.

halemanō;5365047:
Well I do not see this thread as being worthy of discussion; I think it should be closed if not removed.

I don't see where you get this conclusion from. Whether you think the program is worthwhile or not, there are people being certified as instructors this way. Why would it not be worthy of discussion?

The reasons I feel that way are outlined in the post you "snipped" that single statement from.

The title of this (your) thread is misleading and the op is worded in such a way as to be inflammatory.

I suspect no one here will think this is a good idea because you would end up being an instructor with about 30 dives.

ScubaBoard has a search function and google or yahoo search would have also given you enough info to not post such ignorant drivel.

An informed question on Instructor Factories and zero to hero is fine, but asking questions ignorantly will usually result in someone questioning your ignorance. :idk:

halemanō;5366265:
The title of this (your) thread is misleading and the op is worded in such a way as to be inflammatory.

The title of my post is not misleading. The course is OW to Instructor, and it takes 23 days. It was a sincere question about what the more experienced people think about this kind of course. Isn't that what this kind of forum is for?

halemanō;5366265:
ScubaBoard has a search function and google or yahoo search would have also given you enough info to not post such ignorant drivel.

Wow, that is really friendly, constructive advice. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that is really friendly, constructive advice. Thanks for sharing!

Alex K, your original post was worded in such a way as to end up with this post from a "Forum Moderator", which I feel violated TOS, and then even the "Chairman of the Board" participates in the thread as if everything is hunky dory.

TC:
Ask yourself this question- would you allow someone you really cared for to be trained in Scuba diving by an instructor who had only been diving for 23 days?

If you were my friend and asked me about starting this thread before you hit the "Post" button, my friendly, constructive advise would have been pretty much the same. :D

I am starting to believe that ScubaBoard is in fact stuck in Groundhog Day. Or maybe there's nothing new to discuss, just go back over and over the same old stuff.....

halemanō;5366265:
This post is now bracketed with ignorant drivel. :idk:

It was a question. I have no dog in this hunt. I'm not trying to make fun of these kinds of programs, or to support them. I am OW certified with about 10 dives to my name. You mentioned in another thread that you got certified as an instructor through one of these types of programs. I'm guessing you think I am trying to disparage this type of program. I'm not. I'm just honestly curious.

I hope you don't accuse your students of spouting "ignorant drivel" when they ask questions.

It was a question.

Somehow I missed the question mark. :shocked2:

I suspect no one here will think this is a good idea because you would end up being an instructor with about 30 dives. However, it seems like a good way to get in a ton of instruction in a short time. You could round it out with some more practical dives before actually starting instruction.

haleman&#333:
Somehow I missed the question mark.

Well, if you quote the part without the question mark, you aren't going to see it.

AlexKilpatrick:
I'm interested in hearing opinions on this. For the dive shop owners, would you hire someone who was qualified thought a course like this, without a lot of dives under their belt?

This is a pointless back-and-forth exchange, and I am terminating my involvement in it now.

I do appreciate all the honest opinions stated in the thread. Thanks everyone.

Sorry, but the very last sentence of the OP;
"For the dive shop owners, would you hire someone who was qualified thought a course like this, without a lot of dives under their belt?"
Is the only part of it I can see being an actual question

Back
Top Bottom