new mask cleaning?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meterman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just got the new atomic ultraclear mask and if i dont clean it good its going to be the atomic ultrafoggy mask on my first dive. my question is whats the best thing to clean a new mask with? ( toothpaste ) thats what ive been told but the problem is that all 6 or 7 tubes i have in this house are all gel tooth paste and it doesnt work worth a crap, i no i tried it on the last new mask and screwed up my dive. any suggestions before i go buy some paste?
thanks

Got a dishpan? Got some liquid dish soap? Throw it in, warm water and soap, let it just soak for a half hour, then wipe with a clean sponge, rinse, and you should be fine. I did that with both my masks, worked perfectly.

meterman:
( toothpaste ) thats what ive been told but the problem is that all 6 or 7 tubes i have in this house are all gel tooth paste and it doesnt work worth a crap, i no i tried it on the last new mask and screwed up my dive
thanks

Hi,

You will need non-gel toothpaste to make it work. Johnson & johnson baby shampoo will work too.

EZ

New masks take a while to break in. Cover the inside lens with some washing powder/gel or toothpaste and scrub it with your fingers for 5 minutes. Then wash. Spit on it before the dive. Repeat for the next dive if fogging still occurs. This advice was given to me recently and it got the job done.

So, I've read about using soft scrub or plain white toothpaste to clean the mask and then using a mixture of half baby shampoo and half water as defogger. I did this and after the shampoo mixture dried it left a yellowish tinge on the lenses. Is this normal? Will it disappear when I rinse it, or did I use too much shampoo?

If this doesn't work, I'm going back to spit!

I've seen people use lighters to burn off the silicon before scrubbing with toothpaste, I've done this with a couple masks and it works great. Don't know if it will affect the temper of the glass, however . . .

One thing I did with a new mask is use my sonicare toothbrush (with an old brushhead) on it with some non-gel toothpaste. No problems fogging, so it must have worked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom