Bio-Fin Sizing - Do I need two sizes of fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a Bare CD4 with Size 10 (XL) Hard Boots coming. I'm looking at buying some Bio-Fins. Dealer that sold me the drysuit says the XL 10 hard boot won't fit in a size L Bio-Fin and that I need to go with a size LL (XL). Apollo lists the LL as size 11 Wide - 13+. I've been wearing my size 10 7mm wetsuit booties on warm water trips with my same old Cressi Frogs that I'm currently using with my old DUI Tri-Lam Dry suit. The widest point on the soles of wetsuit booties is 4.5" and the rubber coated boots on my old DUI tri-lam drysuit are actually slightly narrower (1/4")! No wonder they both fit in the same fins well.

I'm worried that the size LL Bio-Fin are going to be too big a pocket for my wetsuit booties and I'll end up having to buy two pairs of fins. I can't afford TWO pairs of Bio-Fins and what a shame to spend all that money and not be able to take the fins with me for warm water trips.

Since my drysuit hasn't arrived yet, I'm probably ahead of the game a bit here but I figure I could probably wear a size 11 wetsuit bootie if I needed to as my size 10 are almost too small. So I guess I would need to find a size 11 wetsuit bootie with the bulkiest sole possible and then maybe I'd be good to go?

Maybe I should just just buy two cheaper fins and scrap the Bio-Fin but I really want the best performing, longest lasting fin and be done with it.

Maybe I should just get two different sizes of the Aeris Velocity Duos or get the Velocity Duos for warm water trips and a pair of Jets or Turtles for cold water where I'm more likely to encounter currents and surges.

Generally speaking, fins that fit when diving wet don't fit when diving dry. I would wait for the suit to come in and see how things work out before you spend any money on new fins.

I'm in sort of the same boat, although not quite as bad. My size LL bio fins work great with my Henderson Instadry boots. I had to upgrade from the usual size I wore, though... the one size smaller I bought at first with a slightly smaller bootie was too snug with the instadry ones. I'm hoping that since I have the larger size it will eventually work with a dry suit, also, or I'll be way bummed.

Back to the point, tho, since I had to step up the size of my fins due to big booties, and since my boots are probably way overkill for tropical diving, I figured I'll need to get another pair of fins for warm diving. The good new is that diving in the caribbean is easily warm enough that a pair of full-foot fins works well, no booties needed. And the full-foot versions of the Atomic split fins are WAY cheaper than the strap versions, so I plan to pick those up, esp. since I'm interested in the contrast between the Atomics and the bio-fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom