Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Free Masks for Newbie

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Old Free Masks for Newbie

I was given 2 masks that I'll be using on my honeymoon where we'll be in Hawaii and snorkeling. As a complete newbie I was hoping to get some info about them and some tips for how to properly care for them. I hope to learn a lot from this forum about snorkling before my Sept Honeymoon to Lanai and Maui!

Personally I think they look really cool, I am pretty sure they are "vintage" and I even considered posting this in the Vintage thread. As a first time poster here, please direct me if I should move my post to another sub-forum.

(cant post an image as a newbie.... )

Verbal description. Metal "casing" edges all the corners and looks to me as if the black rubber parts can be "replaced" easily if necessary. There are a few screws or nails or something holding things together. The glass is in great condition and the only markings on it say "tempered glass". I could find NO brand name or other marking on the mask itself. The broken band is labeled US AQUA SPORTS but could easily be a replacement band, and the other is missing the band. I'm going to guess that i'll need to "waterproof test" them. After I clean them up I'll probably try to bring them to a pool to test them out and make sure no "major repairs" are needed.

So a few questions I have:
    1) how can I clean them properly? They were stored and are dusty/dirty and I don't want to mess them up. They are used, so I would like to "sanitize" them also to some extent.

2) Will any replacement band work", as I'll need 2.

Overall I'm overly psyched, these look to me like a great piece of equipment, but I'm curious to hear from the experts!
    Thanks so much in advance!!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Sorrrry

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Since I cant post an image until I reach five posts, I'm going to reply here for a few times so that I can post it. I PROMISE its not spam ;-]

Registered

Has not set a "status"

fourth post

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Next post will be my photo, I promise!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Registered

Vintage snorkeller

I'd certainly recommend reposting in the Vintage Forum for a second opinion about identification and also for advice about repairs. The subject of three-windowed masks like these has come up at least once before on that forum:

US Divers circa question

The mask certainly resembles the Aqualung (US Divers) Wraparound, which is still in production, though now made with a silicone skirt. There were other similar masks in the past, notably the Swimaster Full View, the Dacor Trivue and the Poseidon Compact Supervision. Larry Clinton's "The Complete Outfitting & Source Book for Sport Diving" of 1978 is a big help because it's well illustrated.

You can buy an Aqualung Wraparound new from the Navy Seals online store:

Navy SEALs | tactical equipment | SEAL Fit | fitness training gear

It's good to see such classic diving masks with character still in use. Personally, I never snorkel nowadays without an old-school rubber-skirted mask, usually oval. I tried a silicone mask once and loathed it, not least because the first silicone masks were designed for people with allergies, and I don't have any.

Dive Con

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Like David said, it looks like an old U.S. Divers Wrap-Around Professional.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Thank you both!

Its great to have a "brand" or "name" to associate with it for further research. I'll bring my question to the Vintage forum to see what they might recommend! For right now, David thanks so much for your thorough response and the link to the other thread with lots of great info!

How do I "thank" or "rep" you on this forum?

Registered

Vintage snorkeller

Quote Originally Posted by obxbride View Post
    Thank you both!

Its great to have a "brand" or "name" to associate with it for further research. I'll bring my question to the Vintage forum to see what they might recommend! For right now, David thanks so much for your thorough response and the link to the other thread with lots of great info!

How do I "thank" or "rep" you on this forum?
    It's a pleasure, Obxbride, to be able to share what I've learnt over the years with someone who appreciates classic gear. Do repost in the vintage forum; I'm always delighted to see a thread there about something other than regulators (I'm a snorkeller, I don't scuba-dive) and there are some real experts over there who will know what to do - and what not to do - when it comes to mask repairs.

I'm grateful to NAUIwowee for confirming my hunch.

You award "thanks" by clicking the "thanks" button underneath the message you want to commend.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast