Anyone use Deep Outdoors Sixgills fins ( aka Hollis F2 or APS Mantaray)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
7 years ago I bought a pair of Deep Outdoors Sixgills fins on a whim and based on good reviews. Three days later I took them on a Red Sea liveaboard trip still in the original packing. Since then I have done in excess of 350 dives with them around the world and consider them as the best £90 (around $140) that I ever spent on anything. They have great propulsion, are good against current and above all great in making tight, awkward movements like while positioning oneself ideally for underwater photography. Over the years I have borrowed other types of fins like Force Fins, split fins and Seawing just for comparison, but always felt that the sixgills suited me best.

Anyone else here fancy this type of fin?

I received a pair of Hollis F2's last year for Christmas. Since then, I've used them in local lakes, rivers, and this summer in Bonaire. They are light weight and great for packing due to their size. I've heard they are not the greatest against a strong current but I have not had the opportunity yet to test them out in those conditions. The spring straps they come with are the best I've seen yet.

I have a pair of the Manta Rays. Short to pack and not too heavy, but while I don't like "floppy" I like a little snap, and the mantas are too boardlike for my taste. I've gone back to old US Divers blades, which I just find more comfortable.

I have a pair of Hollis F2s and while i like them, they just don't fit me. I have a small foot and the foot pocket is too big and the bungee is too loose for me. If anyone wants a barely used (10 dives) pair of these...let me know. Fin is a size small.

Last edited:
I agree that the foot pockets are rather big and that is another reason why I like them. I have big, splayed-out flat feet and only the Size 11 Mares Trilastic boots fit me. But they go into those fins very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom