Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: mirror, mirror...

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

mirror, mirror...

sporasub link

..the other day i walked into lds just to kill some time and walked out carrying two steel tanks and a new mask (one of those days...)

when i've got home i looked up the mask on the manufacturer's page:

"The moment the fish feels the hunter’s eyes fixes on him and escapes.
    The hunter hides his eyes to avoid this reaction in the fish. Ideal for open-water spearfishing on sigh"

i am not a spearfisher, so sorry if the above description is 100% true. but it sounds to me equivalent to saying that hunters should wear mirrored sunglasses to keep deer from running away from them.

(i still like the mask, but just when i bought it i thought the function of the tinted lenses is more along the lines of making the colors look better under water or.. err.. make diver look "cool" :-D

...not mentioning the fact that the lense is really mirrored, not just tinted so if i ever get panicky under water my fellow divers will have very tough time to find that out by looking into my eyes...

Senior Moderator

Mama said,"don't
    get wet"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenMatt
    <snip>

...not mentioning the fact that the lense is really mirrored, not just tinted so if i ever get panicky under water my fellow divers will have very tough time to find that out by looking into my eyes...
    I'm sure it looks very cool but I don't think I'd like not being able to see my buddy's eyes.

R..
    There are two types of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Registered

angry again

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    I agree with roturner. Eye contact during a dive is important. I recently purchased an Omer "Abyss" freediving mask. These masks are offered with "mirror" lenses or clear. I chose the clear. Maybe your mask is also offered in clear.....

matt