Oriskany Dive Video and Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Link to my dive video on YouTube: YouTube - Diving The USS Oriskany Pensacola

This is an additional dive report for the June 1, 2008 USS Oriskany dive. Wjefferis has already posted a report that covered much of the dive. This was my first dive on the Mighty “O”. I had made two previous attempts to make the dive, but the weather prohibited us each time from ever leaving the dock.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 was a beautiful weather day. Temperature was in the 90’s and seas were forecasted to be 1-2 ft. We loaded up at the dock behind the Fish House in Pensacola. Dr. Dive has a nice boat that gets you to the Oriskany in a reasonable amount of time.
0014.jpg

Since this was my first dive on the Oriskany, I enlisted the help of Eric Kline, “Oriskany Dive master” for the trip. When we arrived on site, there were fishing boats over the wreck. It was the beginning of snapper season so four boats were fishing over the wreck.

When we arrived some people on the boats began to yell, “Shark, Shark!” in an attempt to persuade us not to dive, and mess up their fishing. We told them we would take pictures of the sharks for them. While we were gearing up, one of the boats began to pull up some snapper. The first snapper was a nice size keeper. The others on the boat also began to pull fish up but, the next two snapper were only HEADS. There was a school of Barracuda around the boats and they began to hit each snapper as it was reeled in.

If you follow the linkfor the video, you will see the large Barracuda that greeted us as we made our way to the anchor line. DM Eric took us to the wreck and began to show us around the tower. We had a great time exploring this massive wreck. Eric’s experience in knowing all the best places on the wreck made for an enjoyable first dive.
AnotherO.jpg

Flags.jpg

Flyover.jpg

flag3.jpg

Walter and Eric
FriendsForever.jpg

After an hour surface interval, we geared up and headed back in the water for our second dive. Not only was it Walter’s birthday, but this was also his 100th dive! Congratulations Walter.

Eric brought us to some different parts of the tower. We also spent some time at the flags taking pictures. Eric also pointed out the numerous octopuses that were occupying holes in the ship. We got close for some pictures, but I did not want to disturb them so we moved on.
Octopus2.jpg

OriskanyCuda2.jpg

Tower.jpg

The highlight of the dive was the sea turtle that cruised over our head. He was surrounded by Amberjack and it was an awesome sight to see.

TurtleAmberJack2.jpg

TurtleAmberJack3.jpg

The only downside to the second dive was that I mis-read my computer and put myself in a few minutes of deco. I was diving my LP 108’s, and was being very conservative with air so a few minutes of deco was not a problem in my gas plan. But, I was mad at myself for straying in to deco. Walter was diving HP 112’s so he had plenty of air to hang with me during my deco obligation.
Hangingontheline.jpg

Dive #1 had a max depth of 117 feet for a 35 minute dive.
Dive #2 had a max depth of 105 feet for a 43 minute dive.
Water temperature for both dives was 70 degrees at depth.

I have to mention one other event. My fellow divers have graciously avoided the subject of….THE FIN! As you all know, there is limited space on a dive boat when everyone starts peeling their gear off. While trying to make room in the boat, I moved Walters Scuba Pro Jet Fins…lets just say, that a Jet Fin sinks REAL fast. I watched in horror as his fin quickly sunk below the surface….on its way to a watery grave beside the Oriskany. I almost jumped in after it, but I had already unzipped my wet suit. And, the DM had just pulled the hook off of the line and the boat was drifting. I decided it was better to replace a fin then end the day drifting in the Gulf of Mexico.

It was a bad way to end the day, but I have his replacement fin arriving tomorrow. Thanks Walter for your patience….I gave him the gift of a new fin for his birthday!

Great day of diving, Dr. Dive is a great dive boat, and Oriskany Dive master, made the day extremely enjoyable.

Thanks for the report and the pictures! This is one dive I hope to do in the near future.

Awsome pics, thanks for posting them, maybe one day when I grow up Ill be able to say I was there.

Just watched the vid. that was pretty darn good too....

Link to my dive video on YouTube: YouTube - Diving The USS Oriskany Pensacola

This is an additional dive report for the June 1, 2008 USS Oriskany dive. Wjefferis has already posted a report that covered much of the dive. This was my first dive on the Mighty “O”. I had made two previous attempts to make the dive, but the weather prohibited us each time from ever leaving the dock.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 was a beautiful weather day. Temperature was in the 90’s and seas were forecasted to be 1-2 ft. We loaded up at the dock behind the Fish House in Pensacola. Dr. Dive has a nice boat that gets you to the Oriskany in a reasonable amount of time.
0014.jpg

Since this was my first dive on the Oriskany, I enlisted the help of Eric Kline, “Oriskany Dive master” for the trip. When we arrived on site, there were fishing boats over the wreck. It was the beginning of snapper season so four boats were fishing over the wreck.

When we arrived some people on the boats began to yell, “Shark, Shark!” in an attempt to persuade us not to dive, and mess up their fishing. We told them we would take pictures of the sharks for them. While we were gearing up, one of the boats began to pull up some snapper. The first snapper was a nice size keeper. The others on the boat also began to pull fish up but, the next two snapper were only HEADS. There was a school of Barracuda around the boats and they began to hit each snapper as it was reeled in.

If you follow the linkfor the video, you will see the large Barracuda that greeted us as we made our way to the anchor line. DM Eric took us to the wreck and began to show us around the tower. We had a great time exploring this massive wreck. Eric’s experience in knowing all the best places on the wreck made for an enjoyable first dive.
AnotherO.jpg

Flags.jpg

Flyover.jpg

flag3.jpg

Walter and Eric
FriendsForever.jpg

After an hour surface interval, we geared up and headed back in the water for our second dive. Not only was it Walter’s birthday, but this was also his 100th dive! Congratulations Walter.

Eric brought us to some different parts of the tower. We also spent some time at the flags taking pictures. Eric also pointed out the numerous octopuses that were occupying holes in the ship. We got close for some pictures, but I did not want to disturb them so we moved on.
Octopus2.jpg

OriskanyCuda2.jpg

Tower.jpg

The highlight of the dive was the sea turtle that cruised over our head. He was surrounded by Amberjack and it was an awesome sight to see.

TurtleAmberJack2.jpg

TurtleAmberJack3.jpg

The only downside to the second dive was that I mis-read my computer and put myself in a few minutes of deco. I was diving my LP 108’s, and was being very conservative with air so a few minutes of deco was not a problem in my gas plan. But, I was mad at myself for straying in to deco. Walter was diving HP 112’s so he had plenty of air to hang with me during my deco obligation.
Hangingontheline.jpg

Dive #1 had a max depth of 117 feet for a 35 minute dive.
Dive #2 had a max depth of 105 feet for a 43 minute dive.
Water temperature for both dives was 70 degrees at depth.

I have to mention one other event. My fellow divers have graciously avoided the subject of….THE FIN! As you all know, there is limited space on a dive boat when everyone starts peeling their gear off. While trying to make room in the boat, I moved Walters Scuba Pro Jet Fins…lets just say, that a Jet Fin sinks REAL fast. I watched in horror as his fin quickly sunk below the surface….on its way to a watery grave beside the Oriskany. I almost jumped in after it, but I had already unzipped my wet suit. And, the DM had just pulled the hook off of the line and the boat was drifting. I decided it was better to replace a fin then end the day drifting in the Gulf of Mexico.

It was a bad way to end the day, but I have his replacement fin arriving tomorrow. Thanks Walter for your patience….I gave him the gift of a new fin for his birthday!

Great day of diving, Dr. Dive is a great dive boat, and Oriskany Dive master, made the day extremely enjoyable.

Great report and pics.

Don't feel bad about the fin. I think I knocked one of those bricks off the dock by Gary's boat, and had to retrieve it in Zero Vis-well, Mat actually retrieved it.

Great report and loved the pics. I can't wait to do this dive. My only fear is that me and my dive buddies drive 7-8 hours to get there and not being able to dive it (due to weather).

Nice stuff!! That's a "must do" on my list!

Thanks for sharing!

Great post and video !!!! I must say that I had such a great time and was so hyped up after both dives that when I saw my fin go overboard it was like "oh well, hey can someone hand me a water i'm thisty." Nothing could have ruined that day.

Don't worry guys. I'm going down after the fin this Saturday. If I find it do I get a reward? I can be bought off for Miller Lite!

I was talking to the guys over at MBT and told them that if anyone talked about a black scubapro jet fin with "Jefferis" written on it that it was a case of beer of their choice to whom ever finds it.

Don't worry guys. I'm going down after the fin this Saturday. If I find it do I get a reward? I can be bought off for Miller Lite!

Consider it done. Walter and I saw you when the H20 pulled up, but you were busy getting folks in the water. I snapped a picture of your boat.

H2OBelow.jpg

How long does on average does it take the H20 to get to the Oriskany? Just wondering.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom